Kogan Full HD Action Camera
This action camera is no GoPro, but it’s great value
- Huge accessories bundle included
- Decent image quality
- Versatile menu and settings
- Mediocre build quality
- No on-camera mounting point
- No 1080p60 video mode
Kogan’s attempt at a GoPro-rivalling action camera deserves praise. It doesn’t have the same image quality or super-sturdy build, but it’s fine for casual recording, comes with a bundle of accessories, and is much, much cheaper.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
It’s a compact, fixed-lens video camera that can record Full HD, 1080p video at 30 frames per second, as well as 720p HD video at 60fps — smoother and smaller video files, at the cost of a slight drop in quality.
Kogan Full HD Action Camera
We received the Black Edition of the Full HD Action Camera from Kogan, which is $139 plus delivery. A Silver version without any mounting accessories (apart from the standard tripod mount) is $20 cheaper.
Kogan’s action camera reminds us very much of the Swann Freestyle HD — it shares the same lens-on-a-box design, with the Kogan’s lens offset to the absolute right (looking front-on). There’s no filter or protection on the front of the lens, so it might be prone to getting scratched if you’re not using it in the protective case.
The front of the camera is bare apart from the lens and Kogan’s logo, but the top has two buttons for recording video or still photos, and the camera’s left and right sides respectively house various outputs (HDMI, USB and microphone input) and a microSD card slot (up to 32GB; a 4GB card is included).
The Action Camera’s back has a few more buttons — five-way navigation pad, menu and power/playback mode toggle. There’s a 1.5-inch, full-colour display built into the camera’s body, which is an optional accessory for the GoPro range, and which a Contour or Action Cam lacks.
The Black Edition bundle of Kogan's Full HD Action Camera includes a variety of mounts — two sticky mounts, a suction cup mount, a roll-bar/handlebar mount, and a helmet mount. There's a 30m waterproof/2m shock-proof case included, as well, which is the only way to use any of the mounts — the camera itself doesn't have an internal tripod screw or mounting point.
Kogan Full HD Action Camera: Menu, video and photo quality
The menu system of the Kogan Full HD Action Camera is, surprisingly, pretty good. The menu of the Swann Freestyle HD lacked some features we thought were important, but Kogan has made its Action Camera a good purchase for a few niche uses — like as a dash-cam, thanks to the loop recording, motion-activated recording, and time lapse photo modes.
There’s even an upside-down option to flip the menu and video output when you’re using the camera in an inverted mount — like using the included suction cup to put the Kogan cam on the top of the inside of your car’s windscreen. The menu is well laid out for a budget action cam, the features are clearly labeled, and the entire setup is both simple and powerful.
When it comes to actually recording video, you’ve got a few options. The Full HD Action Camera from Kogan can record video in either 1080p30 or 720p60 HD video resolutions, and WVGAp60, WVGAp30 and VGA resolutions are also available. We generally opted for 1080p30 for the best possible video quality, although 720p60 may be preferable for anyone using the Camera for any proper action sports. We would have liked to see a 1080p60 video mode as available on the GoPro HERO3.
Video quality, on the whole, is pretty good. It’s not great — not pin-sharp like filming with a digital SLR or compact camera, but the output is largely similar to a high-end smartphone camera.
We’d say GoPro has the edge in video quality with its Black Edition of its HERO3 action camera, which can do 1080p60 and 4K video in addition to the resolution that Kogan offers, and has a sensor and video processor package that does a better job in low light. If you’re looking for something that’s good enough for a casual trip to the snow, or as a dashboard security camera for your car, the Kogan Action Camera does a perfectly good job.
For time-lapse photography or casual party-snap photographs, again, the Kogan does a pretty good job. It’s not going to rival any proper still or video camera any more than a smartphone might, but it gets the job done and the results it produces are decent if unspectacular.
Kogan Full HD Action Camera: Conclusion
The Kogan Full HD Action Camera is priced aggressively, and in our opinion it outperforms its price tag — you get a significant proportion of the features of any GoPro, Contour, Sony or similar action camera, for as little as a quarter of the price. If you need an action camera, or can find a use for one, it’s an attractive device.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- TPChange and Communications CoordinatorQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW