Kodak Easyshare Z1015 IS
An ultra-zoom 10Mp camera.
- Big 15x optical zoom with 28mm wide-angle focal length, sharp images, very minimal shutter lag
- Colour balance quite off, very sluggish start-up, controls a little fiddly
Kodak's Easyshare Z1015 IS is a fine ultra-zoom camera for users looking to upgrade. It has some image quality issues and takes a while to start up but its overall performance was pleasing.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Kodak's Easyshare Z1015 features a 15x optical zoom, advanced shooting features and all the bells and whistles you expect from an advanced compact camera. It is a relatively strong performer, although its images suffer from some annoying flaws.
The main problem with the unit was its colour reproduction. Colours were strongly saturated and not particularly accurate. We tested on both the natural and vivid colour modes but neither gave satisfactory results. Exposure was also a little problematic, with a slightly darker tone than normal across most of our shots.
Our test shots were about as sharp you would expect from a 10-megapixel camera. They were a little blotchy at times, but only in patches of fine detail; nonetheless they should produce good prints at most sizes. Chromatic aberration was also well controlled, with very little in the way of haloing or purple fringing and minimal detail loss towards the edges of the frame.
The camera's noise performance was not outstanding. ISO 100 and ISO 200 produced fine shots, while at ISO 400 there was a little colourful speckling evident but it wasn't too problematic. It wasn't until ISO 800 that we saw a drop in clarity; beyond this setting the shots became largely useless.
In our speed tests the Z1015 IS did well, with the exception of a sluggish 3.7 second start-up time; this is somewhat understandable given it is an ultra-zoom camera. The camera's shutter lag was much better, clocking in at a very speedy 0.05 seconds, and the shot-to-shot time was almost as impressive at 1.8 seconds. The burst mode snapped a modest two frames per second.
The camera's feature set is quite robust and should suit people looking to upgrade from an old compact. It offers all the standard manual controls, including aperture, shutter and program priorities, as well as face detection and image stabilisation. The 15x optical zoom lens is the most impressive part of the package as it has a 28mm focal length, allowing quite a bit of creative shot taking.
The camera is big, boxy and not particularly stylish. The controls are a little fiddly: there is a single scroll wheel that you push in to change mode and then scroll it to select settings. It can get a little annoying and we would have preferred the addition of a second wheel.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject Manager - Knowledge Management Project - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTProject Engineer - Data & IP NetworksNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerACT
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA
- CCApplication Developer - VB.Net, WCF, Production SupportACT
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- FTSystems Development Assistant Team LeadNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- FTPMO Lead, Project Delivery PracticeNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- FTSenior / Lead iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity EngineerACT
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Mobile ApplicationsQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA