Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0
- Punchy bass, Loud, Dark liquid sound
- Lacking a little clarity and definition
As far as computer speakers go, the Promedia Ultra 2.0 is a fairly solid package. It isn’t the best speaker set we’ve heard, but it has a powerful sound that will suit a wide variety of material.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
Previously we looked at the Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 and found them to be an excellent set of speakers. Thus, when the ProMedia Ultra 2.0 arrived we were looking forward to a great aural experience. Whilst not quite up to its predecessor's high standard, this pair of speakers sounds pretty good, and are suited to a wide variety of sources across both music and games.
With a fairly unassuming design, the ProMedia Ultra 2.0 don't occupy a large amount of desk space. This is a slim, black, two speaker setup that fits in well with a modern computer system. They won't win any awards for design, but they look good and manage to do the job.
Keeping with the minimalist theme, there is no on button, as power is controlled with the volume knob. The only other control is a bass switch which works quite well, but should have been complemented with a treble counterpart.
Although Klipsch has gone with a fairly simple design, the sound is anything but small. We were extremely impressed with the power and intensity of the audio that the ProMedia Ultra 2.0 produced. We would describe the sound as dark, with an emphasis on the bass, but it wasn't over the top; rather, it extended deep with a lot of punch. It was the strongest element of the music.
The highs were smooth and fairly well done, although there was a hint of harshness; but the mid range was slightly pushed back, which furthered the rich, warm sound. The sound wasn't as detailed as we would have liked. A certain amount of clarity was lost in complex musical passages and the definition of individual sounds wasn't all it could be.
Positional audio was good, but not exceptional. For a two speaker system the ProMedia Ultra 2.0 created a decent three dimensional sound stage, but it wasn't as well defined as that created by something like the Philips Acoustic Fusion 3310.
We'd recommend this package for music like jazz, hip hop or singer/songwriter material. It handles vocals very well, and gives a deep, liquid sound to the music. It won't be as good with complex instrumentals like classical or heavy metal, but still handles them quite well. It will also be suitable for gaming, with crunching, strong bass, although better positional audio would make them even stronger in this regard.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's new $200 GeForce GTX 1060 3GB challenges the Radeon RX 480 head-on
- Corsair and MSI team up on a liquid-cooled, overclocked GeForce GTX 1080
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCSenior Systems Integration Engineer (HIB)SA
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCSenior Digital BA (iOS / Android)NSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCProject Coordinator - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- CCSAP ABAP DeveloperNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC