KiSS Technology DP-558
- Wide range of supported formats and connectors, PC connectivity
- No DVD burner
A wide range of supported formats, combined with stylish industrial design, makes the KiSS DP-558 a great hard disk recorder for the power user who doesn't mind recording in MPEG-2 and archiving footage regularly.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
The KiSS DP-558 hard disk recorder and network media player offers desirable features for the power user. The machine's silver front panel would coordinate with the majority of modern home theatre equipment, with a DVD-ROM drive in the middle and a row of buttons on the right.
The machine stands 9cm tall, 43cm wide and 30cm deep, so you will need a relatively large entertainment unit to house it. The rear panel features a 10/100 Ethernet port, antenna in and out, SCART in and out, composite, S-Video, component and RCA audio in and out, along with digital (in both coaxial and optical) audio outputs. It offers progressive scan output and an 80GB hard disk.
The machine doesn't include a DVD burner to archive recorded footage. However, it does ship with an Ethernet adapter so you can transfer archived programs over the network to a desktop PC and burn from there. The KiSS uses an inbuilt FTP server for the transfer of files between its internal hard disk and a PC. The KiSS also comes with well-designed software called KiSS PC-Link, which allows you to play media direct from a PC without having to transfer it to the KiSS's hard disk.
It plays an enormous range of formats, including DVD Video, Audio CD, VCD, SVCD, and burnt discs containing JPEG images, MPEG-2, DivX, XviD, MPEG-4, WMA, MP3 or OGG files. It can also play any files of these types over a network (using KiSS's PC-Link software) or from the internal hard disk, although it can only natively record video in MPEG-2.
The MPEG-2 encoder produces high-quality footage at the expense of hard drive space. There are six recording modes ranging from Super High Quality at 8Mbit/s (for a total capacity of 21 hours recording time) down to Super Long Play at 1.5Mbit/s (114 hours recording time).
The system employs a comprehensive and well-laid-out menu that is easily navigated via the included black remote control. Time shifting is available, along with the ability to schedule recordings. The machine can call on Network Time Protocol to set the time from the Internet if connected, and the machine automatically looks up CD track listings from the Internet, along with stock and weather information.
Setup takes just a few minutes, and after selecting your language, preferred region, output method and aspect ratio, it takes just a few minutes to format the hard disk and tune TV channels.
There are parental control options included along with an electronic program guide, and the machine features a number of elegant touches, like the inclusion of detailed setup instructions and network diagrams in the manual to help get you up and running.
As it stands, the KiSS DP-558 offers myriad features in a robust, easy-to-use package. However, to get the most out of the machine you would have to be comfortable with PCs and networking.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProcess Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Process Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - RANVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- FTService Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)QLD
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Information Security SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - (Customer Platforms)NSW
- FTCampaign ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- CCDigital Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Linux AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse ConsultantNSW
- FTPMO Lead, Project Delivery PracticeNSW
- FTRisk and Quality ManagerNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent jobACT
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSystems Specialist - Network Systems l Port MacquarieNSW