Kingston DataTraveler 150 (64GB)
A fast and reasonably priced flash drive.
- 64GB of storage, fast transfer speeds, low cost per gigabyte
- No encryption software included
The Kingston DataTraveler 150 (64GB) is big, fast and relatively cheap. You'll need to decide whether or not you're comfortable storing this much data on an unencrypted drive, but apart from that it's a great USB flash drive.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
It doesn't have flashy extras (excuse the pun) or built-in encryption, but the Kingston DataTraveler 150 provides 64GB (60GB formatted) of relatively fast flash storage for a great cost per gigabyte of $4.98. To put this in perspective, that's half the cost per gigabyte of Lexar's JumpDrive Secure II Plus (8GB) .
To measure the transfer speeds of the DataTraveler 150, we used a folder with 5GB worth of files and a desktop PC with a 7200rpm hard drive. The flash drive achieved an average write speed of 10.63 megabytes per second and a read speed of 28MBps. It achieved an average speed of 8.24MBps when copying files from one part of the drive to another. These are very fast speeds, especially when the price is considered.
However, it's not all smiles and sunshine for the DataTraveler 150. The drive arrives without any software, so it lacks the encryption capabilities seen in the Corsair Flash Voyager (CMFUSB2.0-32GB).
Overall the Kingston DataTraveler 150 is an excellent flash drive with little to fault it. If you're willing to put 60GB of your data onto a single device despite the lack of encryption software, this is a fast and cost-effective option.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
- Seagate releases the first 2TB ultra-slim HDD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - master data managementACT
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- FTSenior Storage Systems EngineerACT
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT