- Great sound quality, Host of equalisation options
- Limited connectivity
A very commendable micro Hi-Fi system from Kenwood that combines great sound and design with a myriad of sound equalisation options.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Towards the higher end of micro Hi-Fi systems in terms of price, Kenwood's K-701 is a simple product that comes with just a CD player and radio with a pair of two-way speakers. The speakers complement the styling of the CD player to give an overall attractive aesthetic. Also included is a very functional and well laid out remote control.
Setting up this package is an easy task, as would be expected with a micro system. Just connect the speakers to the player with the supplied wiring, and power it up. An auto calibration microphone is included to normalize speaker levels if they are not placed in equidistant positions in the room.
Music playback was better than expected for a system of this size. The middle and upper registers were clear, and with the addition of the D-bass setting, bass was surprisingly good. Everything from opera to rock to dance and pop music sounded great - if we had to pick a fault it would be the lack of very deep frequency response. Again, this is only if we were really pushed to find a weakness, as this system really does produce great sound - especially considering it only has two way speakers.
Music could be pushed to a fairly high volume and there was little distortion present at this range. Sound felt very flat with no equalising, but with the adjustment of a couple of settings a warm and encompassing sound was easily attained.
There is a host of equalisation settings available, including a seven band equaliser, bass and treble isolation adjustments as well as a D-bass setting. With all these of these combined you would be hard pressed not to find a configuration you were content with. On top of this there are three presets to save your favourite settings. Getting lost in this world of equalising is not a problem as it can all be switched off with the press of a button.
There are few connectivity options with the K-701 unfortunately, but for a micro Hi-Fi system this is not too great a concern. There are four RCA ports - three inputs for devices such as a tape deck or record player, and one output. There is also a subwoofer pre output, which is a handy inclusion if you ever wanted to add an extra dimension to the system, as well as AM and FM antenna ports.
The K-701 will certainly appeal to people who are willing to spend a little more for a micro Hi-Fi system in return for great sound quality and a sleek design.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTHR Application Architect - WorkdayVIC
- FTDesign Specialist - TelecomNSW
- CCProcess Assurance LeadNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- TPTechnical Analyst - 6 Month Contract - Great Rates Of PayNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - Microsoft / VMWareVIC
- FTPHP DeveloperACT
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTHead of ArchitectureNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Team LeadQLD
- CCTest LeadQLD
- CC3 x UX Designers - 3 month contract initially - IT Services company - SydneyNSW
- TPIT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- TPIT Business Analyst (UX Design)NSW
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- FTSenior Network Specialist - Internet Edge Routing and SwitchingVIC
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- CCProject MangerWA
- FTSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Data Migration LeadNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- FTSystem EngineersVIC