Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 for iPad
The Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 for iPad adds significant thickness to the iPad but with the benefit of a good keyboard
- Decent typing experience
- Cut outs for all ports
- Keyboard is removeable
- Very corporate look and feel
- Adds significant thickness
- Keyboard feels flimsy when removed
The Kensington's KeyFolio Pro 2 for iPad provides a reasonably typing experience and the fact that the keyboard is detachable is a nice touch. However, it adds significant thickness to the svelte new iPad and the keyboard does feel a little flimsy when removed from its case.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Kensington's KeyFolio Pro 2 was initially designed for the iPad 2, but the company has confirmed that it also fits the third-generation iPad, too. It offers excellent protection for the new iPad and the keyboard provides a decent typing experience, but it isn't without its flaws.
Kensington describes the KeyFolio Pro 2 as three products in one: a removable, magnetic keyboard, a smart case and a multi-position stand. While this is definitely creative marketing, the fact the keyboard is detachable is a nice touch. It uses handy magnets to effortlessly click into place and is easy to remove.
The KeyFolio Pro 2 case itself is very business looking, so it's likely to attract corporate users first and foremost. It is made from leather-style synthetic material and is secured close by an elastic band that wraps around the outside of the case. Cut outs for the iPad's camera, lock button, volume keys and dock connector are all available, though the hole for the camera and the home button aren't exactly centred. The KeyFolio Pro 2 does add a fair bit of bulk to the new iPad in order to accommodate the keyboard and the protective case.
Kensington says the case automatically enables the iPad's wake and sleep modes due to a magnetic cover, but we couldn't get this feature working on our new iPad. Some new iPad users have reported issues with the same feature working on a range of smart covers (including Apple-made ones) so we suspect this isn't an issue specifically with the KeyFolio Pro 2.
The KeyFolio Pro 2 can be positioned at various viewing angles thanks to velcro-style lining. Detaching the keyboard means you can extend the angle range even further. Unlike many other keyboard cases, the KeyFolio Pro 2 is comfortable to use on your lap and doesn't topple over.
Connecting the Bluetooth keyboard to your iPad is a simple process. Simply turn it on, press the connect button in the top right corner of the keyboard and go to the Bluetooth settings menu on your iPad to connect it. The iPad will prompt you to enter a four digit code using the keyboard to finalise the connection. The keyboard charges via USB and Kensington includes a USB to micro-USB charging cable in the box. Small LEDs to denote caps lock, Bluetooth connection, charge and power are a nice touch.
Kensington says the KeyFolio Pro 2's battery will last for up to 100 hours with 60 days standby time, so you shouldn't need to charge the unit very often.
Typing on the KeyFolio Pro 2's keyboard is generally a pleasant experience.The keys themselves are spring loaded and reasonably well spaced, though if you're coming from a full sized keyboard it will take a while to get used to the slightly cramped layout.
The KeyFolio Pro 2's keys are raised enough to provide good tactility when pressed. A row of iOS function keys sit on the top row of the keyboard and include functions like hiding and showing the on-screen keyboard, spotlight search and media playback controls, though you'll still need to tap the iPad's screen for functions like copy and paste.
The KeyFolio Pro 2's keyboard does feel a little flimsy when it's removed, so we preferred to use it inside the case.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- More iPad screen sizes unlikely to stop slump
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 is like a giant Note7
- Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Tablet modules add features but limit functionality
- Apple working on a fix for iPad Pros bricked by iOS 9.3.2
- As tablet sales take a dive, analysts expect smartphone vendors to launch convertibles
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTJunior DevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- CC.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Network Designer - CiscoVIC
- FTEAM Delivery Manager - SAPNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- FTNBN Sales Consultant / Account ManagersSA
- FTPerformance Tester and Automation Tester (Brisbane-based)ACT
- FTGIS Software DeveloperQLD
- CCDevOps Engineer - TelcoVIC
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Implementation Manager - Wealth AdviceNSW
- FTSenior Network Specialist - IPVPN EdgeVIC
- TPProject Manager - General InsuranceNSW
- FTSenior System/Network EngineerACT
- CCTest Manager OfficeACT
- CCSAP FICO Support AnalystWA
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- FTIncident and Problem ManagerVIC
- FTWeb DesignerACT
- FTProject Manager - Finance BackgroundQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst - Accounting SoftwareNSW
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW