Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
Version 8 of the venerable AV package
- Low impact on system resources, fast virus scans, great virus detection
- Installation can be finicky, didn't check Firefox 3's security
It’s getting harder and harder to find so-so AV security packages these days. KIS 2009 is a worthwhile upgrade to its predecessor: it offers a very attractive combination of features and protection at a good price. Factor in its low impact on system resources and being light on its feet and KIS 2009 becomes a worthy rival to the likes of Norton 360 et al.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Kaspersky's latest security package offers an attractive combination of features and protection
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, a.k.a. version 8 of the venerable AV package, has benefited from a thorough overhaul, although at first glance things look much the same. The previous version from Kaspersky Lab was a somewhat patchy affair in areas such as keylogging protection and spam detection, and this version addresses these weaknesses.
The new version of Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 offers a fairly standard range of features for a suite — malware protection, content filtering for e-mail and Web, IM protection, a two-way firewall, identity theft protection and parental controls. All these features are accessible via its modified UI and its logical, clear arrangement makes it pretty easy to use.
As is the norm these days, Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 is available both for single and multiple PCs in a variety of subscription permutations. A trial version can be downloaded from the Web site.
Installation is swift although it took exception to the 'presence' of AVG 8, which we'd just uninstalled. Despite cleaning up the registry and hard disk for remnants of AVG it refused to install and so we switched to a different PC. We also had to reboot twice. During this, it builds a list of 'trusted apps' but these are confined to standard OS files — any other apps you've got are assessed the first time they're opened. This is the new Host-based Intrusions Prevention System at work. An application filter, HIPS controls your apps, intelligently deciding which ones are 'safe' to run.
The antivirus scans files on access, on demand, or on schedule. Scans are fast, the support is good, the detection rates are among the best in its class — as a result AV-Comparatives has awarded Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 an Advanced certification level. Most antivirus products that offer e-mail protection just scan the POP3 and SMTP email but KIS also scans IMAP email and Usenet (NNTP) traffic. Plug-ins are available for Outlook, Windows Live, Thunderbird and The Bat!
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 now features a number of security analysers, essentially a set of wizards designed to improve general PC security. The main one makes good system suggestions such as disabling auto-run on drives. It can usefully check your browser security settings and tighten them for you. This worked for IE but Firefox 3.0 was ignored.
Previous releases of Kaspersky Internet Security didn't do so well on defeating key-loggers so it's nice to see the inclusion of another new feature, a virtual keyboard, which makes the entering of data worth stealing more secure.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- No more passwords with Google's Trust API
- A critical flaw in Symantec antivirus engine puts computers at risk of easy hacking
- Malware attacks on two banks have links with 2014 Sony Pictures hack
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP ABAP DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCJunior SQL DBA - Entry LevelVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- FTMicrosoft Enterprise Project Management - Technical ConsultantACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia