Kapersky Internet Security 7
- Privacy control improved, interface, relatively light resource footprint
- Rescue CD needs a download first
Kaspersky 7.0 offers top-notch virus and spyware protection at a reasonable price, and it does so without hogging system resources.
Price$ 82.50 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Despite the version number, KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security) 7.0 actually marks the second release of this product, which comprises antivirus, antispyware, firewall and spam protection.
Version 7.0 sports a made-over interface, but in essence remains the same as KIS 6.0, with an options panel on the left and a larger details panel on the right. Its predecessor had a few gaps in its armoury, but these have been corrected. Privacy control has been improved: the Windows Protected Storage area is now monitored for suspicious activity. And KIS 7.0 at last has parental controls, such as website blacklists and definable categories of forbidden web content. You can also limit internet usage.
If you have 32bit Vista or XP then you can burn a rescue CD in case something goes wrong, but you'll first have to download PE Builder (www.nu2.nu). Any unauthorised changes made by malware can be rolled back.
KIS 7.0 has a relatively light resource footprint. The first time you run a virus scan, itis quite slow, but thereafter it checks only files that have changed. It helpfully reduces scanning speeds when processor activity rises.
KIS continues to offer antivirus protection for email, files and web browsing and kills two malware birds with one stone by scanning for viruses and spyware simultaneously. Kaspersky has won several awards for virus detection n largely thanks to its heuristics-based detection. Verdict
Overall, KIS 7.0 offers top-notch virus and spyware protection at a reasonable price. It's no resource hog either. It offers good detection levels and is considerably cheaper than Norton Internet Security.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
- New Google prompt vastly simplifies two-factor authentication
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/Oracle) 160617/AP/025Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia
- FTSystems Analyst - ERPNSW
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- FTTechnical Support - ImplementationsVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional ArchitectNSW
- CCSAP Application Delivery LeadVIC
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTSolution Architect - Data/ InformationVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst- Process Mapping Specialist- Gov / Bank backgdNSW
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsNSW
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- FTContract System SpecialistAsia
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- CCTechnical Content ProducerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC