Kaon Media KTF-570H
- Simple to use, neat remote
- No HD support, lack of information stored with recordings
It's basic and easy to use, but don't ask for too much.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Although not heavy on the frills, the Kaon KTF-570H SD Personal Video Recorder is an easy-to-use digital PVR and set-top solution.
The interface and on-screen display has an appealing simplicity, although a little, well, floral for our tastes. Recorded programs are available at the touch of a button, as is the current and next EPG information. You can record by pressing the record button, and programming recording times is very quick and very easy. You can schedule recording times as one-off, weekly or daily (although there is no provision for weekends). The remote is a fine piece of work--it has all the functions we could ask for (including fast aspect ratio changes) and was comfortable and sturdy.
It's not all sunshine and roses, however. Annoyingly, saved programs are given a filename that only tells you the time, date and channel of the recording--it doesn't draw information from the EPG to give a file its name. If you want to name a recorded program something meaningful, you have to do that manually.
The tuner does not support high-definition. Turn to a high-def channel with the Kaon, and it will struggle valiantly to decode the signal, but just doesn't have enough grunt to do it, producing massive frame skips and poor image quality. Timeshifting in the Kaon is automatic and always on (although you can switch it off in the menu); so as long as you haven't changed the channel, you can always rewind live TV.
The 80GB hard disk included in our test review box is enough for roughly 40 hours of recorded standard definition television (there are also 40 and 60GB models available). The Kaon will tell you both the percentage of space left and the number of MB. It will also tell you how large each recorded file is.
There are various ways you can connect the Kaon to your TV. It has an RF aerial loop-through, stereo RCA outputs and two SCART outputs (although no SCART cables or adapters are supplied). For audio buffs, it also supports Dolby Digital bitstream output.
The Kaon was a little slow during our testing, taking a few seconds to start up and often pausing between channel changes, similar behavior to many early model digital set-top boxes. It does have facilities for fast navigation through the multitude of digital channels, however.
There are some nifty utilities and games that are pre-programmed in the box as well. A calendar, calculator and various simple games (including classics like Black Jack and Tetris) are all on the box.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- CCApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!SA
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- CCIT Infrastructure ArchitectNSW
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC