- 25X optical zoom, great versatility
- Low quality still images, lacks advanced manual features
The GR-D290's ease of use and adequate performance in a wide range of situations recommend it to beginners.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- hafr36d marshmallow inner ear headphones with m... 49.99
JVC's GR-D290 handheld digital camcorder packs a wide range of quality features into a highly affordable product.
The camera can be easily held and operated with the right hand, with only the occasional adjustments requiring use of the left hand. Zoom and digital still image captures are controlled with the index finger, while the thumb controls recording toggle. A 2.5" LCD screen swings out from the side of the camera, and swivels up to 270 degrees.
The 25X optical zoom gives the camera great range, and delivers incredible close-ups in combination with the camera's tele-macro function. Zooming is fast and images remain clear across the entire zoom spectrum. The autofocus is a little sluggish when zooming fast, and often takes several seconds to catch up, especially at high zoom levels.
Video recording is simple with the JVC, with the automatic setting providing a quick and easy entry into the world of digital video recording. Some more advanced options are found in the manual mode. The GR-D290 achieves an effective balance between simplicity and versatile, powerful shooting.
Video is captured to MiniDV Cassettes. A switch located underneath the LCD screen allows users to switch to the camera's Memory mode, which records directly to a flash memory card. Only still images can be captured in memory mode, and the 8MB card which comes with the camera allows approximately 20 to be stored at the highest image quality (1024 x 768).
The GR-D290 has plentiful connection options, including USB, DV and AV outputs. Video can be recorded from the camera to a PC with the included software, while images can be simply dragged and dropped onto the computer. The process can be a little complex, but plenty of support is available for beginners.
Battery life is a little short, at only 60 minutes, but replacement battery packs are available with up to five hours life with the LCD screen on, and seven hours using only the viewfinder. Recharging the batteries is fast, but they must be attached to the camera, meaning you can't recharge one battery while using another.
The GR-D290 is as a versatile and easy-to-use camera, but it lacks advanced manual features.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
- Netflix loosens up streaming video, letting users choose their cellular speed limit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCIT Systems AnalystACT
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160523/AP/254Asia
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCMultiple Oracle Fusion SOA/BPEL Developer OpportunitiesVIC
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTSoftware DeveloperSA
- CCSnr Technology Analyst Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCOracle Payroll Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT