- 25X optical zoom, great versatility
- Low quality still images, lacks advanced manual features
The GR-D290's ease of use and adequate performance in a wide range of situations recommend it to beginners.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
JVC's GR-D290 handheld digital camcorder packs a wide range of quality features into a highly affordable product.
The camera can be easily held and operated with the right hand, with only the occasional adjustments requiring use of the left hand. Zoom and digital still image captures are controlled with the index finger, while the thumb controls recording toggle. A 2.5" LCD screen swings out from the side of the camera, and swivels up to 270 degrees.
The 25X optical zoom gives the camera great range, and delivers incredible close-ups in combination with the camera's tele-macro function. Zooming is fast and images remain clear across the entire zoom spectrum. The autofocus is a little sluggish when zooming fast, and often takes several seconds to catch up, especially at high zoom levels.
Video recording is simple with the JVC, with the automatic setting providing a quick and easy entry into the world of digital video recording. Some more advanced options are found in the manual mode. The GR-D290 achieves an effective balance between simplicity and versatile, powerful shooting.
Video is captured to MiniDV Cassettes. A switch located underneath the LCD screen allows users to switch to the camera's Memory mode, which records directly to a flash memory card. Only still images can be captured in memory mode, and the 8MB card which comes with the camera allows approximately 20 to be stored at the highest image quality (1024 x 768).
The GR-D290 has plentiful connection options, including USB, DV and AV outputs. Video can be recorded from the camera to a PC with the included software, while images can be simply dragged and dropped onto the computer. The process can be a little complex, but plenty of support is available for beginners.
Battery life is a little short, at only 60 minutes, but replacement battery packs are available with up to five hours life with the LCD screen on, and seven hours using only the viewfinder. Recharging the batteries is fast, but they must be attached to the camera, meaning you can't recharge one battery while using another.
The GR-D290 is as a versatile and easy-to-use camera, but it lacks advanced manual features.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSAP Payroll and Time ConsultantVIC
- CCSofware Developer/Architect - Media and telco Network Operations - MelbourneVIC
- FTTechnical Project Manager ( IT Infrastructure)ACT
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTFunctional Consultant - CommercialsQLD
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Communications EngineerWA
- TPSenior Performance TesterQLD
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- CCInfosphere ConsultantACT
- FTIT SpecialistACT
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Expert | 3mth+contractVIC
- TPSystems ManagerQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst - Mortgage SolutionNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Security) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTChief Architect - Principal ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Network Designer - CiscoVIC
- CCLightweight Directory Access Procol (LDAP) DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTDatabase DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW