- High zoom, good LCD, logical interface
- Poor ergonomics, no memory card slot or USB port
The GR-D250AA is a solid, no-frills camera at a reasonable price.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The single-CCD (charge-coupled device) GR-D250AA is an entry-level MiniDV camcorder with some interesting new features. It's extremely compact, but the key selling point has to be the impressive 25X optical zoom lens.
There's no memory card slot or USB, so still capture is limited to video grabs to tape, and the ergonomics are a little under par--the chassis digs into the heel of your thumb over time, the zoom control can rock the camera, and the internal viewfinder doesn't tilt. That said, the 2.5" LCD is clear, the interface is logical and the playback/menu controls are easily accessible.
JVC's new Data Battery also allows for a more accurate "time remaining" readout that can be viewed while the camera is switched off--similar to Sony's InfoLithium technology.
The bottom-loading tape drive may irritate tripod users and there's no accessory shoe, but external microphones are supported. Manual controls include button-driven focus, exposure/gain control, white balance and selectable shutter speeds, but there's no progressive scan and widescreen recording is letterboxed or squeezed.
Despite claiming 520-line video resolution, the GR-D250AA's pictures don't look all that sharp, but low-light performance benefits from a noise reduction circuit, and the colour handling is pleasantly neutral, avoiding the over-saturated, over-sharpened feel of many consumer camcorders.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCEnterprise Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- FTBI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- CCMid-level Java Developer / Programmer (Contract) Finance CBDNSW
- CCWebMethod DeveloperQLD
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTAutomation TesterVIC
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- CCAccessability TesterACT
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerACT
- CCSolution Delivery Manager / Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Murex DeveloperVIC
- TPSystem AdministratorQLD
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- CCAAA DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Security Specialist - Palo Alto Firewall ExpertVIC