JVC Everio GZ-MC500
- Styling, quality 3CCD imaging sensor
- Handling, 4GB hard drive on the small side, no AVI video format option
Despite the 3CCD image sensor and 5 megapixel still images, the GZ-MC500 is more suited to the casual moviemaker than the serious video enthusiast.
Price$ 2,799.00 (AUD)
The JVC GZ-MC500 looks like a spy camera, with matte black steel construction, an integrated flash and a rotating grip, allowing the camera section to move 45 degrees up and 45 degrees down. It fits snugly into the hand, with limited controls laid out at strategic points around the camcorder's body making it reasonably easy to access controls while recording.
Three 1.33 megapixel CCDs capture video, which the camera converts to DVD-resolution MPEG-2 video. It can record video in either 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 formats. The video can then be stored on the supplied 4GB Microdrive (or other CompactFlash device). On the supplied Microdrive, the GZ-MC500 can fit up to 60 minutes of DVD-quality MPEG-2 video. The camera can also take still photos at up to 2560 x 1920 (just under 5 megapixels equivalent, using the three CCDs).
The Microdrive can be swapped for other CompactFlash devices, and there a separate SD card slot. Video and stills can be downloaded to PC through a USB connection, or shown directly on a TV set via S-Video or composite connectors. PictBridge and DPOF are supported, providing you with several photo printing and sharing options.
Its 10X optical zoom (8X when taking still photos) was fast and clear, delivering minimal distortion at either end of the optical zoom range. A bright 1.8" LCD screen worked well, even when recording in bright sunlight--which is a good thing, as the MC500 does not have an optical viewfinder.
A small joystick controls virtually all the MC500's functions. A mode button on the left-hand side of the camera allows you to choose one of three shooting modes (video/still/audio). A dial for exposure settings is near that. While not the most intuitive control setup, it doesn't take long to become familiar with the operating procedures.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- YouTube dives into VR, live-streaming with 360 video
- Netflix stops insisting it will never support offline videos
- YouTube rolling out live 360-degree videos with immersive Coachella experience
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- How a Canberra specialist is helping digitise valuable Nelson Mandela footage
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC