Just Mobile UpStand iPad stand
The Just Mobile UpStand is a stylish lightweight aluminium desktop stand.
- More flexible than the Apple iPad docks
The Just Mobile UpStand is a lightweight iPad stand that beats Apple's own by being simpler and therefore more flexible in rotation modes. You might think you don't need a stand for your iPad but once you start using one it just makes sense not to have to hold it in your hands or on your lap all the time.
Price$ 45.00 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in $US.
Just as the iPod and iPhone did before it Apple’s iPad is creating a whole new market in accessories, from cases to keyboards and stands.
Apple itself sells an iPad case and a couple of iPad stands but there are many more becoming available from third-party vendors.
The Apple iPad Keyboard Dock is a nice, if wobbly, way to use the iPad more like a laptop. It begs the question, however – why not just use a laptop, which is just as portable, has its own keyboard and offers much greater functionality?
Of course, while an iPad isn’t as functional as a laptop it is really a quite different beast. Its touchpad combined with an ever-increasing number of wonderful apps makes for something that works better in hand than on your lap of desktop.
The Just Mobile UpStand is a stylish lightweight aluminium desktop stand for iPad that doesn’t feature a keyboard but does allow the iPad to rest straight without having to be held in hand. Although lightweight it’s bulky enough to make it stay in your home or office rather than go on the road with you.
The Apple docks are limited because the iPad has to stand vertically, because that’s where the iPad’s dock connector is placed.
The iPad’s battery boasts a fine charge lifespan so the dock connector is rather superfluous anyway.
The UpStand is just a stand rather than a dock so the iPad can sit either vertically or horizontally – in portrait or landscape modes, so to speak.
Because of its simplicity the UpStand is therefore much more flexible than the Apple iPad docks. If you want to use a traditional keyboard with the iPad an UpStand and a Bluetooth keyboard is a much more flexible solution that Apple’s Keyboard Dock.
The UpStand sits on rubber non-slip supporting grips so that the iPad is held firmly in place. Just Mobiel claims that it is compatible with most iPad cases, too – and this is certainly true with the Apple-made case we tested it with.
Do you need a stand for the iPad?
Until you place your iPad on a stand you’d probably answer “no”, but once you seen the upStand in situ it starts to make sense – especially if you use it to watch videos on or as a digital photo frame. (If only you could hook an iPad up to a portable DVD player…)
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Everything we think we know about Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S3
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
- Lenovo's Yoga A12 Android 2-in-1 has futuristic touch panel keyboard
- In PC comeback, ARM will battle Intel in Chromebooks and Windows 10
- Dell: Mainstream laptops with wireless charging are still years away
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- FTSalesforce Technical Business Analyst (Brisbane based)Other
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- TPTechnical WriterVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA Engineer with some hands-on knowledge of scripting.NSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- CCIntegration DeveloperNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- CCNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- TPData AnalystWA
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW