Just Mobile UpStand iPad stand
The Just Mobile UpStand is a stylish lightweight aluminium desktop stand.
- More flexible than the Apple iPad docks
The Just Mobile UpStand is a lightweight iPad stand that beats Apple's own by being simpler and therefore more flexible in rotation modes. You might think you don't need a stand for your iPad but once you start using one it just makes sense not to have to hold it in your hands or on your lap all the time.
Price$ 45.00 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in $US.
Just as the iPod and iPhone did before it Apple’s iPad is creating a whole new market in accessories, from cases to keyboards and stands.
Apple itself sells an iPad case and a couple of iPad stands but there are many more becoming available from third-party vendors.
The Apple iPad Keyboard Dock is a nice, if wobbly, way to use the iPad more like a laptop. It begs the question, however – why not just use a laptop, which is just as portable, has its own keyboard and offers much greater functionality?
Of course, while an iPad isn’t as functional as a laptop it is really a quite different beast. Its touchpad combined with an ever-increasing number of wonderful apps makes for something that works better in hand than on your lap of desktop.
The Just Mobile UpStand is a stylish lightweight aluminium desktop stand for iPad that doesn’t feature a keyboard but does allow the iPad to rest straight without having to be held in hand. Although lightweight it’s bulky enough to make it stay in your home or office rather than go on the road with you.
The Apple docks are limited because the iPad has to stand vertically, because that’s where the iPad’s dock connector is placed.
The iPad’s battery boasts a fine charge lifespan so the dock connector is rather superfluous anyway.
The UpStand is just a stand rather than a dock so the iPad can sit either vertically or horizontally – in portrait or landscape modes, so to speak.
Because of its simplicity the UpStand is therefore much more flexible than the Apple iPad docks. If you want to use a traditional keyboard with the iPad an UpStand and a Bluetooth keyboard is a much more flexible solution that Apple’s Keyboard Dock.
The UpStand sits on rubber non-slip supporting grips so that the iPad is held firmly in place. Just Mobiel claims that it is compatible with most iPad cases, too – and this is certainly true with the Apple-made case we tested it with.
Do you need a stand for the iPad?
Until you place your iPad on a stand you’d probably answer “no”, but once you seen the upStand in situ it starts to make sense – especially if you use it to watch videos on or as a digital photo frame. (If only you could hook an iPad up to a portable DVD player…)
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Chromebooks beat Mac notebooks 1.4-to-1 in U.S.
- Guess how much HP sold its gold- and diamond-encrusted laptops for?
- No Play Store for old Chromebooks
- Google is bringing Android apps to Chromebooks
- Chromebooks surge past Macs in the U.S. for the first time
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCBusiness Analyst (Sharepoint, CRM, MS Dynamics)ACT
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- FTSolution Architect - Capacity ManagementVIC
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager - HFCVIC
- CCQA OfficerACT
- CCICT Contracts and Procurement SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- CCFull Stack Developer - AngularNSW
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- FTData EngineersNSW
- FTSharepoint Developer - O365NSW
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTLinux System EngineersNSW
- CCProject Specialist Continuity AutomationVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA