Finally, stellar sound from small speakers
- Smooth, rich sound in an incredibly small unit
- The tiniest amount of distortion at higher volumes
Truth be told, the JB3s sound like a much larger speaker with multiple drivers. Their sound is astonishing and involving, even though the speakers themselves are no taller than a paperback book. If you need small speakers but want big sound (at a decent price) it's hard to find anything better than these.
Price$ 510.00 (AUD)
JohnBlue's JB3 bookshelf speakers are incredibly versatile, far beyond what you'd expect from their tiny size. They can handle everything — from high notes all the way down into lower bass registers — smoothly and competently. If you're looking for some miniature units that still sound fantastic, you'll be hard-pressed to find much better than these speakers.
As a Taiwanese company, JohnBlue Audio naturally hasn't had a lot of exposure to the Australian market. But now consumers are able to get their hands on these boutique speakers from distributor Music Gateway, as well as through other retailers such as COEM Audio — who also cover products like the Kingrex T20 and UD-01.
The JB3 speakers are beautifully constructed with exacting detail. A perfectly smooth piano black finish completely covers the enclosures, while a single driver takes pride of place on the speaker's front — a distinct departure from the usual two-driver system. Even the rear, often completely hidden from view, has copper speaker terminals mounted on a thin gold plate, with model and serial numbers artistically added.
The speaker drivers are three inches, making them 'full-range' units as there is no need for complicated electronic crossovers degrading sound and signal quality. The drivers are specifically developed by JohnBlue, rather than being sourced from an OEM company such as Fostex. The end result is a deliberately engineered and remarkable pair of speakers.
We tested these hooked up to Kingrex's T20 miniature Class T amplifier, running off a Kingrex UD-01 digital audio converter playing lossless FLAC audio files. We were pleasantly surprised by the speakers' seemingly Herculean abilities — music sounded far richer and warmer than we were anticipating from such diminutive units.
Treble from the JB3s is sweet and rich, but doesn't lack detail. We were easily able to pick out individual instruments in orchestral arrangements and jazz trumpet pieces, although the speakers don't have a particularly analytical or exposing temperament. Midrange was an area where we expected the speakers to falter, but they didn't. The bass reflex enclosure allows the relatively small driver to create a large amount of sound pressure in middle frequencies, so music has a warm, enveloping feel. This is even more evident when using the JB3s in a small room or office, where they're able to stretch their legs and excel at moderate amplification levels.
We were yet again surprised by the ability of these speakers to recreate lower bass notes. While they are never going to be able to match the prowess of a dedicated subwoofer or speakers with significantly larger drivers, the JB3s do an admirable job of pumping out an amount of bass that belies their bookshelf size.
At higher volumes we noticed a slight amount of distortion from the speakers, especially when pushing them with bass-heavy rock and electronic music. At low and moderate volumes, however, the sound is remarkably composed. Their overall character is lively and musical; every track we listened to seemed very involving.
Stereo imaging is another area where the JB3s continue to impress. With the speakers positioned on either side of a computer monitor we found the soundstage to be noticeably three-dimensional, seemingly stretching far behind the monitor and speakers themselves. This is a boon for well-produced music, especially orchestra pieces, where instruments have specific places within a sound-stage. Music was perfectly synchronised but individual notes from individual instruments could still be placed and identified.
And best of all, this is all achieved with a speaker cabinet only slightly more than 20 centimetres tall. These are true bookshelf speakers, so they'll fit anywhere you care to put them.
The JB3s function perfectly as a dedicated primary music system, whether it's from a CD player or a computer source like Kingrex's UD-01 digital audio converter, but they would also be a welcome secondary addition to a more serious home audio setup. If you need a miniature stereo setup for your office or computer desk at a reasonable price, it's hard to find a better option than JohnBlue's JB3 speakers.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Technical Consultant - MicrosoftACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial ServicesVIC