Princess Phonetics HD for iPad
Phonics is a widely used method of teaching children to read, pronouncing letters and letter groups as they sound rather than the traditional 'A', 'B', 'C', etc.
- Great reading app for children, easy to use
- Slightly overpriced
Princess Phonetics HD is a clean and simple phonics reading app for children that's easy to use and well made. It's so simple that the price – mid-range for such an app – is a little steep for its one-trick approach to the subject. But it works and at least parents will have a handy reminder of the sounds being taught in class.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
There are plenty of Reading iPhone and iPad apps for children but most stick to pronouncing B as “bee” rather than the phonic “ber”.
For children to really get the most out of an early years phonic education it’s best that they stick to that pronunciation only at the beginning.
(Of course they’ll probably be able to sing the alphabet by rote but for learning to read letters and how they’ll sound phonics has a lot going for it.)
Princess Phonetics HD is a very simple phonics iPad app that teaches the letter shapes and phonic sounds.The clear English voice-over is by five-year-old Molly, aged 5. Thankfully it’s ‘Zed’ – I mean ‘zzz’ – rather than the American ‘Zee’.
It’s called Princess because it’s in every girl’s favourite colour pink, and generalists will be pleased that there’s also a Prince Phonetics HD app in – you guessed it – blue.
It’s great that the app shows both uppercase (capital) and lowercase letters, as children can get confused why there’s two different shapes and showing them together should help understanding.
You touch the individual letters to hear the letter sounds. It’s that easy.
It’s a shame you can’t use more of the iPad functionality – for instance, swiping to the next letter. The only options this app offers is to change the background to different types of pink.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
- New Google prompt vastly simplifies two-factor authentication
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCSolution DesignerACT
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCChange ManagerACT
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW
- FTSOE Engineer - End User ComputingQLD
- FTSystems application support analystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- CCScrum Master with Java development backgroundACT
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL/Oracle) 160630/SA/254Asia
- CCProject Coordinator | CBD | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA