Prince Phonetics HD for iPad
Phonics is a widely used method of teaching children to read, pronouncing letters and letter groups as they sound rather than the traditional "A", "B", "C", etc.
- Great app for children
- Slightly overpriced
Prince Phonetics HD is a clean and simple phonics reading app for children that’s easy to use and well made. It's so simple that the price -– mid-range for such an app –- is a little steep for its one-trick approach to the subject. But it works and at least parents will have a handy reminder of the sounds being taught in class.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
There are plenty of Reading iPhone and iPad apps for children but most stick to pronouncing B as “bee” rather than the phonic “ber”.
For children to really get the most out of an early years phonic education it’s best that they stick to that pronunciation only at the beginning.
(Of course they’ll probably be able to sing the alphabet by rote but for learning to read letters and how they’ll sound phonics has a lot going for it.)
Prince Phonetics HD is a very simple phonics iPad app that teaches the letter shapes and phonic sounds.
The clear English voice-over is by five-year-old Molly, aged 5. Thankfully it’s ‘Zed’ – I mean ‘zzz’ – rather than the American ‘Zee’.
It’s called Prince because it’s in blue, and generalists will be pleased that there’s also a Princess Phonetics HD app in – you guessed it – pink.
It’s great that the app shows both uppercase (capital) and lowercase letters, as children can get confused why there’s two different shapes and showing them together should help understanding.
You touch the individual letters to hear the letter sounds. It’s that easy.
It’s a shame you can’t use more of the iPad functionality – for instance, swiping to the next letter. The only options this app offers is to change the background to different types of blue.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 2 Nokia Lumia 930 review
- 3 Asus G550JK gaming notebook
- 4 Fetch TV set-top box
- 5 Dell Inspiron 15 5547 laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- IFA 2014: Next-gen smartphones from Samsung, Sony, LG, Motorola and more
- Netflix open sources internal threat monitoring tools
- Surface Pro 3 not overheating but needs a software fix, Microsoft says
- Server sales have turned a corner, IDC says
- Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTMarketing Communications Executive - B2BNSW
- FTChief Information OfficerNSW
- FTSearch Account ManagerNSW
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC
- FTAccount Manager Programmatic Trading DeskNSW
- FTInformation Services ManagerNZ
- FTMachine Learning | JAVA | San Fran based global Company | SydneyNSW