Prince Phonetics HD for iPad
Phonics is a widely used method of teaching children to read, pronouncing letters and letter groups as they sound rather than the traditional "A", "B", "C", etc.
- Great app for children
- Slightly overpriced
Prince Phonetics HD is a clean and simple phonics reading app for children that’s easy to use and well made. It's so simple that the price -– mid-range for such an app –- is a little steep for its one-trick approach to the subject. But it works and at least parents will have a handy reminder of the sounds being taught in class.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
There are plenty of Reading iPhone and iPad apps for children but most stick to pronouncing B as “bee” rather than the phonic “ber”.
For children to really get the most out of an early years phonic education it’s best that they stick to that pronunciation only at the beginning.
(Of course they’ll probably be able to sing the alphabet by rote but for learning to read letters and how they’ll sound phonics has a lot going for it.)
Prince Phonetics HD is a very simple phonics iPad app that teaches the letter shapes and phonic sounds.
The clear English voice-over is by five-year-old Molly, aged 5. Thankfully it’s ‘Zed’ – I mean ‘zzz’ – rather than the American ‘Zee’.
It’s called Prince because it’s in blue, and generalists will be pleased that there’s also a Princess Phonetics HD app in – you guessed it – pink.
It’s great that the app shows both uppercase (capital) and lowercase letters, as children can get confused why there’s two different shapes and showing them together should help understanding.
You touch the individual letters to hear the letter sounds. It’s that easy.
It’s a shame you can’t use more of the iPad functionality – for instance, swiping to the next letter. The only options this app offers is to change the background to different types of blue.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCProject Manager NetworksNSW
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- FTWeb & Mobile Solutions DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Specialist Continuity AutomationVIC
- CCSnr Technology Analyst Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCSAP Project ManagersNSW
- FTSenior Business Analysts - Payments or Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Marketing SystemsNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT