JBL On Tour Mobile
- Sleek design, cover doubles as stand, rubber strips on base, auto-off, adequate sound at lower volumes, 2.5mm and 2.5mm cables included
- Average sound quality, distortion at higher volume levels
The On Tour Mobile may be worth a look if you are after a portable, lightweight speaker for travelling, but don't expect the world in terms of sound quality.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The JBL On Tour Mobile is a compact and lightweight portable speaker system. Featuring a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack, a sliding, protective cover, which doubles as a stand, and the ability to run either off either AC power or standard AAA batteries, the On Tour Mobile has good features, but is unfortunately let down by average sound quality.
The best aspect of this device is its design. Finished in an all-black glossy plastic with chrome ends, the On Tour Mobile has a sliding cover that protects the speakers, and which doubles as a stand when it's open. It also has rubber strips on its base, so it sits firmly on most surfaces. Sliding the cover open reveals two, 3W drivers and two small volume buttons. Pressing both buttons at the same time mutes the sound.
The unit's sound quality is average. Not surprisingly, the On Tour Mobile lacks bass and, as this can't be adjusted on the unit itself, you'll have to use the preset equaliser settings on your input device. While the unit does handle music adequately at lower listening levels, when the volume is turned up over the halfway point, distortion becomes evident and dramatically deteriorates the sound quality. As the bass distorts, the sound becomes overly muddled, but at lower levels the sound is clear and crisp. As such, the speakers are adequate, provided you are listening to them in close proximity.
The On Tour Mobile has a stereo mini-jack connection, so it can be used with a number of audio devices including, iPods, MP3 players, notebook computers and PCs. Conveniently, JBL also includes both a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, as well as an adapter for most Motorola phones. Also in the sales package is an AC adapter, a standard 3.5mm audio cable, a drawstring carry case and four AAA batteries.
Conveniently, the On Tour Mobile has an auto-off feature; the unit goes into sleep mode when the cover is closed or when there is no audio input. It resumes as soon as the cover is opened again, or when the volume button is pressed. The unit also remembers what the volume level was set to before it was turned off, and resumes playback at that same level.
The unit's battery life is rated at approximately 24 hours of continuous playback by JBL and an orange LED between the volume buttons flashes when the battery power is low.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Xiaomi planning second version of its revolutionary Mi Mix ‘bezel-less’ phone
- Apple smartphones outsold Samsung's in Q4
- Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium, charging up iPhone 8 rumor
- Now you can control your smart devices from your Pixel, no Google Home required
- Everything we think we know about the LG G6
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject Specialist l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)NSW
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)VIC
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- FTSalesforce Technical Business Analyst (Brisbane based)Other