JBL On Tour Mobile
- Sleek design, cover doubles as stand, rubber strips on base, auto-off, adequate sound at lower volumes, 2.5mm and 2.5mm cables included
- Average sound quality, distortion at higher volume levels
The On Tour Mobile may be worth a look if you are after a portable, lightweight speaker for travelling, but don't expect the world in terms of sound quality.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The JBL On Tour Mobile is a compact and lightweight portable speaker system. Featuring a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack, a sliding, protective cover, which doubles as a stand, and the ability to run either off either AC power or standard AAA batteries, the On Tour Mobile has good features, but is unfortunately let down by average sound quality.
The best aspect of this device is its design. Finished in an all-black glossy plastic with chrome ends, the On Tour Mobile has a sliding cover that protects the speakers, and which doubles as a stand when it's open. It also has rubber strips on its base, so it sits firmly on most surfaces. Sliding the cover open reveals two, 3W drivers and two small volume buttons. Pressing both buttons at the same time mutes the sound.
The unit's sound quality is average. Not surprisingly, the On Tour Mobile lacks bass and, as this can't be adjusted on the unit itself, you'll have to use the preset equaliser settings on your input device. While the unit does handle music adequately at lower listening levels, when the volume is turned up over the halfway point, distortion becomes evident and dramatically deteriorates the sound quality. As the bass distorts, the sound becomes overly muddled, but at lower levels the sound is clear and crisp. As such, the speakers are adequate, provided you are listening to them in close proximity.
The On Tour Mobile has a stereo mini-jack connection, so it can be used with a number of audio devices including, iPods, MP3 players, notebook computers and PCs. Conveniently, JBL also includes both a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, as well as an adapter for most Motorola phones. Also in the sales package is an AC adapter, a standard 3.5mm audio cable, a drawstring carry case and four AAA batteries.
Conveniently, the On Tour Mobile has an auto-off feature; the unit goes into sleep mode when the cover is closed or when there is no audio input. It resumes as soon as the cover is opened again, or when the volume button is pressed. The unit also remembers what the volume level was set to before it was turned off, and resumes playback at that same level.
The unit's battery life is rated at approximately 24 hours of continuous playback by JBL and an orange LED between the volume buttons flashes when the battery power is low.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- HTC is reportedly releasing a new U phone that makes better use of its bezels
- Apple wins China patent battle over iPhone 6 design
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
- Android device updates: Nougat rollout begins for the Moto Z Play
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTHead of Architecture, Global Financial InstitutionNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- CCInside Sales ConsultantNSW
- CCICT Project ManagerACT
- TPSenior Drupal Developer / ArchitectQLD
- FTService Desk OperatorsSA
- CCSAP FICO Support AnalystWA
- TPSolution Architect - Integration - Bespoke ProjectQLD
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorSA
- FTNBN Sales Consultant / Account ManagersSA
- FTICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst (BI / Analytics)NSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorWA
- CCDevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer - Cisco VoiceWA
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- FTData Storage Support Consultant (EMC)QLD
- FTFull stack Developer | 3 mth ContractVIC
- FTBusiness Solutions AnalystNSW
- CCLightweight Directory Access Procol (LDAP) DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Financial ServicesNSW