Jays q-Jays in-ear headphones
Jays q-Jays review: These in-ear headphones have excellent sound quality
- Tiny size, excellent sound quality and detail, wide variety of included eartips
- We don't like the cord length, changing the eartips is fiddly work
If you've got a bit of money to spend on some high quality in-ear headphones, we'd definitely consider the Jays q-Jays to be a strong contender. They're on par with high-end performers from audio specialists like Ultimate Ears and have excellent sound quality, tending slightly more towards all-out detail over musicality. They respond very well to equalisation though, making them a great choice for avid music listeners.
Price$ 349.95 (AUD)
The q-Jays are in-ear headphones from upstart Swedish brand Jays aimed at the high-end market. They've got excellent sound quality and are very small and light — they're an excellent match for an Apple iPhone 4 or portable media player player.
Jays q-Jays: Design, build quality, fit and comfort
The Jays q-Jays are in-ear headphones, so they sit deep inside your ear canal. This means they offer excellent isolation against outside noise. However, using in-ear headphones can be a confronting experience if you're not used to them. Inserting the q-Jays headphones into your ears is easy thanks to their miniscule size. They're among the smallest in-ear headphones on the market. A variety of different silicon eartip sizes and shapes are included, so it's easy to find an appropriate fit. A pair of foam ear-tips provides the best seal possible, but fitting them inside your ears is a fiddly process.
Be prepared to spend a while finding the best-fitting eartips, as changing between different sets is a difficult and awkward process. If you feel like shelling out some extra cash, the company has teamed up with a Swedish audiologist to offer custom eartip moulding.
These headphones are solid and well constructed, with no flimsiness and high quality cable construction and connections. The cord of the Jays q-Jays is split into two lengths, with a 60cm main cable from the earphones and an included 90cm extension cord. We would have preferred a single cable of around 1.2m rather than a split — the 3.5mm connector in the middle of the current cable adds bulk and unnecessary weight.
Once fitted and inserted with the best eartips for our ear size, we found the Jays q-Jays to be relatively comfortable for extended listening periods. Wearing in-ear headphones comes down to personal preference — some people like it while others baulk at the deep fit and in-ear intrusion. If possible, try a pair before committing to the purchase.
Jays q-Jays in-ear headphones: Sound quality and volume levels
The Jays q-Jays have excellent sound quality. We weren't expecting much from a relatively small headphone manufacturer, but once properly fitted the q-Jays can uncover a great deal of detail in high quality audio recordings. When un-equalised — no artificial boosts to treble or bass — the q-Jays have a relatively flat frequency response, with no evident bias towards high or low notes. This makes them great for detailed listening and accurate reproduction of sound.
The q-Jays also respond very well to software equalisation. We selected a bass-heavy preset and found the Jays headphones had a noticeable lift in the lower registers, without any audible distortion or loss of quality. If you listen to lots of music we'd recommend a bit of a boost to treble and bass to give the Jays q-Jays a bit of musicality and warmth. We'd put the Jays q-Jays roughly on par with the Ultimate Ears 700, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5vi and Klipsch X5 in-ear headphones in terms of sound quality — they're in esteemed company.
Being in-ear headphones, the q-Jays don't need a lot of power to achieve loud volume levels. The combination of efficient armature drivers and good isolation means that if you like your music loud, you'll be happy with the q-Jays. To achieve roughly the same volume level, we generally had the volume a few increments lower on the iPhone 3GS compared to the stock Apple earbuds.
Jays q-Jays in-ear headphones: Conclusion
The Jays q-Jays are excellent in-ear headphones that have sound quality equal to other high-end established headphone brands. If you are interested in shelling out a few hundred dollars on high quality portable in-ear headphones, these should be among the models you consider.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCTransport Planner - GIS SpecialistNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW