Jawbone Up24 wireless activity tracker (preview)
Jawbone's new Up24 wristband adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth
- Wireless sync over Bluetooth Smart
- Claimed seven day battery life
- Works with iOS and Android
- No Australian release or pricing
- Updated Android app is coming soon
- No significant new features besides sync
Jawbone's Up fitness wristband hasn't been on the market for long in Australia but the company has recently announced an updated version that adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth, the Up24.
Jawbone's Up fitness wristband hasn't been on the market for long in Australia, but the company has recently announced an updated version that adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth.
The Up24 wristband features a new pattern on the front and is slightly wider than the first iteration of the Up, but is otherwise very similar. The only real new feature is wireless synchronisation over Bluetooth smart, a strong criticism of the first iteration of the product.
The integration of automatic wireless sync eliminates the need to plug the Up24 into your smartphone to sync data, though it does decrease battery life. Jawbone says the Up24 will last up to seven days before requiring a recharge, whereas the original model promised up to 10 days of battery life.
The Up24 doesn't really introduce anything new to the overall experience. The product still consists of two parts — the wristband itself that tracks movement, sleeping patterns and includes a vibrating alarm function, and an iOS or Android app presents movement, sleep and food data, and allows interaction with other Up users.
The latest 3.0 version of the Up app introduces some new features specifically for the Up24. Live notifications let you know when you're about to meet your fitness goals, while users can set a vibrating "Smart Alarm" using the app, instead of having to plug the device into your phone.
There's also a new sleep recovery tool that allows users to estimate sleep, even if the band isn't put into sleep mode, along with streaks and milestones that recognise short and long term progress.
The iOS version of the 3.0 Up app is available now, though Jawbone says the Android version is "coming soon". However, the company hasn't announced a date or time frame for its release.
The Up24 wristband is available now in the US for US$149.99, but there's no word on when it will be available in Australia, or how much it will cost when it does arrive Down Under.
The original Jawbone Up will continue to be sold alongside the Up24 and currently retails in Australia for $149.99.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Fitbit launches the new Alta
- Apple is reportedly seeking exclusive content for the Apple TV
- New self-propelled stroller launches crowdfunding campaign
- Samsung to make Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 chips
- Forget Google Glass: Carl Zeiss's smart lens prototype proves smart glasses can be subtle
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCProject ManagerSA
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCSenior Network EngineersACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PEXASA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCProject Manager, Network, FinanceNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTImplementation Consultant, Enterprise SoftwareNSW
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- FTIT Cyber Security Requirements ConsultantACT
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Manager IT infrastructureACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- CCJira Administrator - Western SydneyNSW
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Scrum/Pega SystemsNSW
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW