Jawbone Up24 wireless activity tracker (preview)
Jawbone's new Up24 wristband adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth
- Wireless sync over Bluetooth Smart
- Claimed seven day battery life
- Works with iOS and Android
- No Australian release or pricing
- Updated Android app is coming soon
- No significant new features besides sync
Jawbone's Up fitness wristband hasn't been on the market for long in Australia but the company has recently announced an updated version that adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth, the Up24.
Jawbone's Up fitness wristband hasn't been on the market for long in Australia, but the company has recently announced an updated version that adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth.
The Up24 wristband features a new pattern on the front and is slightly wider than the first iteration of the Up, but is otherwise very similar. The only real new feature is wireless synchronisation over Bluetooth smart, a strong criticism of the first iteration of the product.
The integration of automatic wireless sync eliminates the need to plug the Up24 into your smartphone to sync data, though it does decrease battery life. Jawbone says the Up24 will last up to seven days before requiring a recharge, whereas the original model promised up to 10 days of battery life.
The Up24 doesn't really introduce anything new to the overall experience. The product still consists of two parts — the wristband itself that tracks movement, sleeping patterns and includes a vibrating alarm function, and an iOS or Android app presents movement, sleep and food data, and allows interaction with other Up users.
The latest 3.0 version of the Up app introduces some new features specifically for the Up24. Live notifications let you know when you're about to meet your fitness goals, while users can set a vibrating "Smart Alarm" using the app, instead of having to plug the device into your phone.
There's also a new sleep recovery tool that allows users to estimate sleep, even if the band isn't put into sleep mode, along with streaks and milestones that recognise short and long term progress.
The iOS version of the 3.0 Up app is available now, though Jawbone says the Android version is "coming soon". However, the company hasn't announced a date or time frame for its release.
The Up24 wristband is available now in the US for US$149.99, but there's no word on when it will be available in Australia, or how much it will cost when it does arrive Down Under.
The original Jawbone Up will continue to be sold alongside the Up24 and currently retails in Australia for $149.99.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- Report: A new Gear VR headset is coming with a black scheme and minor tweaks
- Future Samsung wireless charging pads may handle all your gear at once, patents reveal
- Apple will release Olympic-themed Apple Watch bands, but only in Brazil
- Don't look now, but Harry Potter's invisibility cloak just got a big step closer
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTIBCO Support ConsultantsNSW
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCData AnalystACT
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- CCTesting Resource ManagerVIC
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC