Jarte Jarte word processor
- Fits onto a small, 64MB USB drive, works on several files and formats, it's free
- Not as good as the paid-for version
The trade-off for Jarte's small footprint and shallow learning curve is a dearth of features. A paid-for version, Jarte Plus, offers more, such as automatic spelling correction, automatic outlines, the ability to save clipboard cuttings for future use and support for independent user profiles, which Jarte calls "personalities".
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- NutriRocket Food Processor 129.00
Talk is cheap, but Word is expensive. Fortunately, Jarte is free. This clever little word-processing program lets you open, modify, and save files in common formats. And we do mean "little": Jarte fits onto a small, 64MB USB drive with room to spare for a couple of documents, making it perfect for travellers who want to work on projects and might not have Internet access for using Web-based alternatives.
Jarte's tabbed interface makes it easy to work on several files -- in several formats -- at once. We also appreciated the clickless file menus, which open with a mere mouse-over. (Selecting menu items require clicks, of course.) You have a choice of three layouts: the Notepad-style Minimal; the default, aptly named Compact; and Classic (with big, handy buttons).
Whether we ran Jarte off an XP system's hard drive or a portable USB drive, it opened Microsoft Word .doc, Rich Text Format and Word 2007 .docx files without a hitch. (The .docx functionality requires Microsoft's free, but large, compatibility pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file formats.) We successfully saved files in .doc, .txt and .rtf formats.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
- New field test lets you install Android apps directly from Google search
- Survey says: Almost a third of US consumers on Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCChange LeadNSW
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCService EngineerVIC
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCCitrix Systems EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCProgrammer/Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Moblie) 160115/AP/P/vhaAsia
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC