IronKey Personal S200 Flash Drive
This secure flash drive uses hardware encryption, eliminating the need to run software and put your data at potential risk
- Portable software, hardware encryption
- Requires software for password entry
The IronKey Personal S200 is possibly the slickest combination of software- and hardware-based security in the flash drive market. A stylish and exceptionally well-conceived security product.
Price$ 168.85 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The IronKey Personal S200 is possibly the slickest combination of software- and hardware-based security in the flash drive market. Though you log on via software, the S200 uses hardware encryption so there's no software running on your PC that can be hacked to intercept data. It's also stylishly rendered in brushed silver metal, rugged, and easy to use.
The Personal S200 uses a small CD-emulation partition to store and auto-run its control panel, which is used to log on and administer the drive. The control panel is portable, so no installation is required and it can run on Windows, the Mac, and Linux. It's nicely laid out, easy to learn and you may add icons to it for any portable apps you load onto the data partition.
You may enter the password via a randomisable onscreen keyboard to foil key-loggers if the situation demands. One flourish I particularly enjoyed was that that actual data partition remains hidden until you've entered the correct password. You may also log on in read-only mode.
IronKey couples the Personal S200 with an online account at my.ironkey.com, which is secured with a password, questions, and an image or 45 user-defined phrase combination. There you may back up and retrieve your device password, and any passwords stored in the included Identity Manager password management software that makes it easier to employ complex passwords online. If you log onto the Web portal using anything other than the portable Firefox browser shipped on the IronKey, then you must then enter a code emailed to you after you enter your user name and password. Nice.
If you're not looking for a drive with biometrics, such as the Imation Defender F200, or one with a keypad, such as Lok-It, then the IronKey is a stylish and exceptionally well-conceived flash drive security product.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- No more passwords with Google's Trust API
- A critical flaw in Symantec antivirus engine puts computers at risk of easy hacking
- Malware attacks on two banks have links with 2014 Sony Pictures hack
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
- New USB-C authentication spec protects against malware and shoddy chargers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCAmazon Web Services (AWS) IT SupportWA
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- FTManager, Applications SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Program ManagerACT
- FTQuality ManagerACT
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- CCCloud Service Solution LeadVIC