- Small size, stylish design, superior screen quality
- Can't record TV, interface could be improved
A fantastic portable multimedia player.
Price$ 790.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Linux-powered iRiver PMP-120 is an alternative to iRiver's own PMC-120, which is similar but based on Microsoft Portable Media Center.
The 280g PMP-120's small size, good looks and build quality means that it's a great choice aesthetically, and its 3.5" display is also superior to that of most other multimedia players--bright and with reasonable (but not great) top and side viewing angles.
The PMP-120's supported formats include ASF, MPEG, AVI, DivX and XviD. However, the PMP-120 can't record video or TV directly like the Archos AV420 or AV300 series devices.
In terms of audio, the PMP-120's support extends to WAV, MP3 and WMA, and photo support includes JPEG and BMP. The PMP-120 can even download images directly from a digital camera. Media files (or everyday files such as spreadsheets) simply copy over to the appropriate directory when the PMP-120 is connected to your PC using the supplied USB 2.0 cable. It has a 20GB internal hard disk.
The PMP-120 has a built-in mono speaker and also comes with iRiver earbuds. The integrated microphone and audio line-in allows you to record audio. You can also receive and record FM radio. iRiver claims the replaceable lithium ion battery provides up to 10 hours of music or five hours of video playback.
Our one gripe with the iRiver PMP-120 is that its interface is terribly quirky, but it is firmware-upgradeable, which also means support for games or OGG files could be added in the future. The PMP-120 is compatible with both Mac and PC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- CCOracle DevelopersACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - GeneralVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - Cloud computingAsia
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia