IRIS Readiris Pro 10
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Transforming printed documents into editable text requires an optical character recognition (OCR) program. The basic OCR programs that come with most scanners are fine for simple tasks, but more-complex documents require a full-featured package like Iris's Readiris Pro 10.
The most notable improvements in version 10 of this $249.95 application are two new recognition engines - one for hand-printed text and the other for barcode reading. The latest Readiris also supports a wider variety of output formats; has a simple, wizard-driven interface, and extensive PDF support.
The big letdown in the shipping version we evaluated was Readiris's hand-printing recognition feature. It can decipher only separated characters (block letters), not cursive text. Even when we followed these rules, we got lacklustre results. In its best test run, the accuracy rate was only 88 per cent.
However, Readiris's speed and accuracy in the other standard OCR tests we conducted (including bar-code reading) were exemplary. It took a scant 31 seconds to convert a 10-page document into a text file, with very few errors.
Verdict With its easy interface and speedy OCR conversion, we'd recommend Readiris to anyone who needs to convert documents to electronic form. But we'd advise new users to lower their expectations about transforming hand-printed notes into editable text.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTProject Manager- RiskSA
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsWA
- CCCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTDrupal Web DeveloperACT
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- TPEOI - Developer/Tester/Software EngineerACT
- CCCitrix SpecialistNSW
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst, FinanceNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer - Multiple rolesQLD
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerACT
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCSCCM ConsultantACT
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM DeveloperVIC
- TPIntermediate Change ManagerQLD
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- FTProgram L&D Manager, Financial ServicesNSW