IRIS Readiris Pro 10
Transforming printed documents into editable text requires an optical character recognition (OCR) program. The basic OCR programs that come with most scanners are fine for simple tasks, but more-complex documents require a full-featured package like Iris's Readiris Pro 10.
The most notable improvements in version 10 of this $249.95 application are two new recognition engines - one for hand-printed text and the other for barcode reading. The latest Readiris also supports a wider variety of output formats; has a simple, wizard-driven interface, and extensive PDF support.
The big letdown in the shipping version we evaluated was Readiris's hand-printing recognition feature. It can decipher only separated characters (block letters), not cursive text. Even when we followed these rules, we got lacklustre results. In its best test run, the accuracy rate was only 88 per cent.
However, Readiris's speed and accuracy in the other standard OCR tests we conducted (including bar-code reading) were exemplary. It took a scant 31 seconds to convert a 10-page document into a text file, with very few errors.
Verdict With its easy interface and speedy OCR conversion, we'd recommend Readiris to anyone who needs to convert documents to electronic form. But we'd advise new users to lower their expectations about transforming hand-printed notes into editable text.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
- New Google prompt vastly simplifies two-factor authentication
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCData ArchitectSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCIntegration ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorNSW
- CCSales Specialist - DigitalNSW
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160628/P/133Asia
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- CCProduct Solution DesignerVIC
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Large Telco - URGENTNSW
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- FTManager of Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- CCTechnical Content ProducerVIC