iPod Video Converter
iPodRobot iPod Video Converter is a utility that's designed to get around one of Apple's most annoying limitations.
- Functionality should be in iTunes anyway, a bit expensive
If you can stomach the price, IPodRobot comes in handy when you lose your data on your PC and want to get your songs back that you had stored on your iPhone. Or, you synched a playlist from one computer to your iPod and then want those songs on another computer without any hassle.
Price$ 25.26 (AUD)
When you plug an iPod or iPhone into a computer that has iTunes, you're able to synch the PC's playlist on to the device - but you can't go the other way. You can't copy what's already on the device to the PC.
(Photos are an exception, as newer iPods and iPhones store these separately and they are accessible as if the device were an external drive.) Hence the need for a utility like iPodRobot ($25.26, 7-day feature-limited demo), which lets you copy everything on an iPod or iPhone to a PC.
iPodRobot is straightforward enough. Plug in the device when prompted, check what you'd like to copy, and click the Copy button. It works exactly as advertised. Note that if the files on the device have DRM (digital rights management), you still won't be able to play them on your PC unless you bought the tracks.
The app itself and vendor VOW Software's support website have numerous typos and grammatical errors. It's not anything that prevents you from using iPodRobot, but it is a little distracting. Email responses from China-based VOW Software were intelligible, so this appears to be a proofreading issue.
What's not at all clear in the trial version is that it's really more like a feature- and time-limited demo. The Copy to iTunes button brings up a nag screen, but when you click past that screen, it doesn't actually copy the files into iTunes.
That's because the demo only lets you Copy to Folder, and only 10 files at a time. A more intuitive way would have been to grey out the Copy to iTunes button altogether.
The full version costs $25.26, which seems high for what is basically a one-trick pony.
Note: The demo lasts for 7 days and has numerous limitations, including only copying 10 files at a time, only copying to a folder and not to iTunes, and having a nag screen each time you copy.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- CCSalesforce - Functional Analyst (BA)NSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTPrincipal Architect - Infrastructure | Major BankVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCJunior Data ArchitectACT
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPService Desk ManagerVIC
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCUI UX AnalystWA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)QLD
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW