Iomega StorCenter Pro 150D NAS
- Robustly constructed, well-designed RAID system, fully-featured software
- Noisy, software is fiddly to use, basic Web interface with a few bugs
This is an efficient and effective NAS system for businesses.
The StorCenter Pro 150D is what you expect of a business-focused network-attached storage (NAS) device: a big boxy chassis that dwarfs its rivals, dull looks, a noisy fan, and support for enterprise-level technologies such as Microsoft's Active Directory. But don't let that put you off. If you can tuck it away in the corner of your studio, then the 150D is worth considering as it's an efficient, effective NAS system.
The 150D's sturdy plastic door hides four drive bays with latches, drive trays to be popped in and out quickly. Drives do have to be screwed into these trays, so swapping drives isn't as fast as on the Drobo: although, as with the Drobo, drives can be swapped while the unit is on and StorCenter automatically rebuilds a RAID array as soon as a new drive is inserted.
The bundled Iomega Discover Tool is fiddly, and we had trouble mapping the NAS to a drive in Windows, but it offers functionality that most NAS have only in their Web interfaces. The 150D's browser-based interface is basic and unfriendly, and when we changed the RAID mode, existing user accounts were deleted.
In our speed tests, the 150D performed slower than Acer Aspire EasyStore for copying data to, and not much faster than the three-drive Thecus N3200 — though for copying files from the unit it was the fastest overall.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSolutions Architect - SAP HANAQLD
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCTransition Manager / Project ManagerQLD
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- FTLinux Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- FTHadoop Operation EngineerNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- CCOracle Fusion SOA/BPEL DeveloperVIC
- CCNetwork AdministratorWA
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle/Web) 160603/SA/871Asia
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- FTBusiness Systems Architect - Technical LeadershipWA
- CCSecurity Clearances Vetting Services OfficerACT
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCIT Program ManagerACT