Iomega Network Hard Drive 160GB
- Easy to install and use
- Lacks security features, poor performance
Though it's slim on security features and none too quick, this portable drive can connect to your network or directly to your PC.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Designed for personal use, the compact Iomega Network Hard Drive offers simple setup, backup utilities and the ability to connect directly to PCs via their Ethernet ports. Because of this direct-to-PC capability, you can take this drive along when you travel, in addition to using it as part of your network back at home base.
The Network Hard Drive lacks folder security features: as it is, anyone with access to the drive can read anything on it. However, the unit is a snap to install and use--it showed up in My Network Places even before we ran the included Discovery utility.
An excellent selection of consumer software is bundled with it: Adobe Photoshop Album, Musicmatch and Iomega Automatic Backup. These three applications neatly epitomise the reasons most home users will be interested in this device.
Iomega Automatic Backup in particular is easy to use. You simply select the files you want to back up, choose a schedule and destination drive (the Network Hard Drive) and you're done. Restoring data is equally quick: you just drag and drop the desired files back to your hard disk.
The main weakness of the Network Hard Drive was its performance; it was among the slowest storage appliances we have tested. If you are only copying a file or two here and there and backing up at night, performance shouldn't be an issue. If you regularly copy large amounts of data, however, you'd be better off with a faster drive.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia