Iomega eGo 160GB (silver)
- Small, stylish, easy to use
- USB not e-SATA, requires two ports where the port is not powered
A simple device with great utility. If you've got an ever growing media library, you need regular backups, or quite simply need to move large data files from place to place, then you can't go wrong with a portable hard drive solution like this one.
Price$ 209.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
External or portable hard drive solutions are hardly worth a second glance, and certainly don't entice high levels of excitement. However, what you can achieve with them can definitely bring a smile to your face.
The Iomega eGo 160GB (5400rpm) portable hard drive is a ready-to-go portable hard drive solution that's even got a touch of style, so you don't look the complete nerd. The silver (at least with our review model) looks professional and sleek. The rounded edges may be a simple touch, but somehow look far more classy than the boring old rectangle design.
In our digital age, where music, movies, photos and documents are all measured in 1s and 0s, the ability to transport large amounts of data from A to B is a highly underestimated task. The Iomega eGo is small enough to slip into your pocket and is powered entirely by USB, so there's no need to lug a hefty power supply around. The USB cable has twin USB heads, and requires two USB ports if the port is not powered.
Beyond the USB cable there is nothing needed to get this device up and running. There's no software, no drivers and no installation that are required. Simply plug it in and start copying. Included with the device is a licence to the EMC Retrospect HD backup software, though you'll need to download it. This software allows you to schedule backups of pre-defined folders, and is great for securing important data.
Copying 4.12GB of data from the device to a PC took 175sec or around 23MBps. Copying data back from the PC to the device again took 259sec or about 16MBps (read speeds are typically faster than write speeds).
At 220g this device is quite easy to carry around. It feels sturdy and uses Iomega's DropGuard feature, a cushioning around the hard drive, which is designed to protect the device against sudden jarring. The drive is formatted using Fat32 by default, but we easily re-formatted to NTSC in order to handle larger files.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCSystems Monitoring Specialist - Foglight focusNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCx2 AEM Frontend/UI DevelopersVIC
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- FTJava DeveloperAsia
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Delivery ManagerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL/Oracle) 160630/SA/254Asia
- CCIT Change Coordinator / AnalystNSW
- CCRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCWeb/Mobile Developer (Android)WA
- CCMS Exchange Support EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW