System Mechanic 7.5
- Most of the functions can be scheduled, intuitive, optimises your startup files and system memory
- Our Internet connection didn't seem to be any faster after it was tweaked; much of what the tune-up portion of the program does is automate tasks that an advanced Windows user can do using built-in Windows utilities
If you're not comfortable delving into Windows utilities, the regular version of Iolo System Mechanic can easily pay for itself, helping you avoid forking over big bucks for a professional to clean up an aging, sluggish Windows installation. More-advanced users should spring for the Iolo System Mechanic Pro version to get their money's worth.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Iolo System Mechanic backs up, repairs, and compacts the Windows Registry; protects against spyware; optimises startup files and system memory; and tweaks Internet connection settings.
Iolo's System Mechanic, now in version 7.5, has been garnering positive reviews for ages – for good reason.
Iolo System Mechanic's two flavours, regular and Professional, offer Windows repair, tune-ups, and preventive security features that work well and keep a relatively low profile, providing the software equivalent of the "geeky friend" many users lack.
In its $49 regular incarnation, System Mechanic 7.5 will back up, repair, and compact the Windows Registry; detect and remove many types of spyware; optimise your startup files and system memory; and tweak your Internet connection settings for best performance.
In our tests the Registry and startup optimisations worked well, but our Internet connection seemed no faster. (We did not test the spyware removal.) Using Iolo System Mechanic's ActiveCare feature, you may schedule most of these functions, so you don't have to remember to invoke them yourself. The Iolo System Mechanic Pro edition, which costs around $20 extra, adds secure data wiping, data recovery, a firewall, and antivirus protection, although we didn't test the latter two.
We found version 7.5 intuitive and a bit easier to use than previous instalments of Iolo System Mechanic. Users who wish to know exactly what is being done and why won't be disappointed; Iolo System Mechanic also offers complete and extremely granular explanations of each action to come. In fact, perusing System Mechanic's help file is an educational experience that might be worth the price of admission in and of itself.
Over the years, we've used System Mechanic mostly for recovering data and wiping hard drives, but the tune-up features have also worked well. That brings us to our only caveat about the non-pro version: much of what the tune-up portion of the program does is automate tasks that an advanced Windows user (or your geeky friend) will already know how to perform manually using built-in Windows utilities.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCSitecore DeveloperWA
- CCDeployment CoordinatorNSW
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTBiztalk DesignerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/JBoss/SQL) 160831/AP/994Asia
- CCContract Senior IT Assistant (PC LAN/UNIX) 160908/SITA/901Asia
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - Cloud computingAsia
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC