Inventa PCI HDTV
- Excellent picture, good timeshifting
- Difficult installation, scheduler hard to find, tuning requires effort
It's cheap, yet it performs well.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
This digital tuner from Inventa is very cheap, and should be considered a bargain.
Our first impressions were mixed, as it took a fair bit of effort to install this card. In the box with the card you will find a program called MyTheatre, which needs to be registered with the distributor (Inventa) before it can be used in an unlimited capacity (it is time-limited to one hour without registration). During tuning, it took us a few tries before we could locate Nine Network broadcasts, and even when we did, we could not view them all the time. We could view all other channels properly and the picture quality of SD and HD channels was excellent.
MyTheatre has a well-sectioned interface with control functions and current channel information located at the bottom of the TV display and channels listed to the right. With MyTheatre, you can record programs either by manually hitting the record button, using the scheduler (which can also launch the program, if it's closed, at the nominated recording time) or you can timeshift a live program by pressing the pause button.
Timeshifting is enabled by default in MyTheatre, and is set to record data to a 10MB file in your system's RAM. While handy to have it always on, this file size is conservative. From the settings menu you can change this value and you can elect to have timeshifting use a file on your hard drive to store its data instead. You can make this file as big as you desire. If you want to continue using the RAM setting for timeshifting, be careful not to make the size too big as you may find yourself running out of RAM quickly and crashing your system.
All up, we like this card's price and we think its software is OK, even though its interface does have a few quirks, such as the scheduler being hidden away in the right-click menu instead of in the main settings area, which itself contains a mixed salad of functions. We also liked the documentation that ships with this card--it explains how to use all of the major functions of MyTheatre.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- PC prices will continue to go up due to shortage of components
- Radeon Vega vs. GeForce GTX 1080 Ti? AMD, Nvidia announce dueling events at GDC 2017
- Toshiba's in chaos, but not quitting PCs -- yet
- Intel's 8th-gen 'Coffee Lake' chips reuse 14nm process as other Core CPUs ease into new tech
- Intel researches tech to prepare for a future beyond today's PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- TPProject Technical LeadQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantVIC
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW