Intuit QuickBooks Premier Edition 2009
The latest edition of the market-leading small-business accounting package.
- Improved dashboard, multi-currency support
- Free Web site very limited
The improvements make QuickBooks Premier Edition 2009 a good value for new users and a worthwhile upgrade for current customers. A less costly Pro edition lacks industry-specific financial reports and inventory-tracking tools, but it may appeal to smaller service businesses on a budget.
Price$ 1,399.00 (AUD)
QuickBooks Premier Edition 2009, the latest edition of the market-leading small-business accounting package, sports numerous useful improvements, including multicurrency support for transactions with foreign vendors and customers.
QuickBooks Premier Edition 2009 also improves multiuser capabilities, offers smarter online banking, and makes it easier for your outside accountant to work with your QuickBooks records.
Longtime QuickBooks users will welcome improvements to the dashboard: the company snapshot feature includes more details on your business finances and makes it easier to drill down to examine the details.
And new users will benefit from the addition of a panel with context-sensitive links to the QuickBooks Live Community, a user bulletin board — a feature that could help them get answers to many questions.
Intuit couldn't have timed its support for multi-currency any better. Dodgy economic conditions will encourage many businesses to sell offshore to foreign customers.
QuickBooks Premier Edition 2009 lets you download up-to-date currency exchange rates so you can easily prepare invoices in Euros or other currencies, even if your product costs are maintained in US dollars. You can view your outstanding receivables either in US dollars or in the foreign currency. Customer payments can be received by wire transfers using Intuit Payment Services (at extra cost).
Intuit says that, at about half of the businesses using QuickBooks, more than one person works with the software. These businesses will appreciate QuickBooks Premier Edition 2009's improved multiuser mode, including data backup and running reports. QuickBooks Messenger lets you text-chat with other users.
Some operations must still be performed only in single-user mode. But QuickBooks administrators who need solo access can now send a message to other users and log them out.
Banks rarely record transactions the same way you do in your company books. Borrowing from its personal finance application, Quicken, Intuit lets QuickBooks Premier Edition 2009 suggest possible matches when you download transactions from your bank account. You can then establish a rule to rename similar transactions in the future, to save time.
Intuit now provides a free Web site for 12 months for each QuickBooks Premier Edition 2009 customer. Unfortunately, the plan appears to have been designed by a tight-fisted Ebenezer Scrooge: the freebie is limited to a scant three Web pages, so it's hardly worth your time to set one up. Microsoft Office Live Small Business offers a far more generous bundle of free web services, including both a custom domain and e-mail accounts.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
- New field test lets you install Android apps directly from Google search
- Survey says: Almost a third of US consumers on Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer 160120/AP/vvtAsia
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- FTManager, Portfolio GovernanceNSW
- CCSAP ABAP ProgrammersACT
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- FTTechnical Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystWA
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- CCSAP CRM Specialist- ABAPACT
- CCProgram Manager - Big Data - Telecommunications - UrgentNSW
- CCCitrix Systems EngineerNSW
- CCApplication Project ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCContracts ManagerNSW
- FTFraud AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC