Infocus ScreenPlay 5000
- Compact, nice colour
- S-Video lacking in detail, no automatic lens shift
The Screenplay 5000 is a fine projector in spite of a handful of niggling foibles. Worth a look.
Price$ 3,499.00 (AUD)
The ScreenPlay 5000 home theatre projector from InFocus is unusual in that it uses an LCD projection system instead of the more common and newer DLP technology.
The ScreenPlay 5000 is a remarkably compact projector (vital statistics: 3.4kg and 293 x 100 x 260mm) that's also HD-capable and loaded with goodies.
There are connection options to cover all bases including DVI, component, S-Video and composite plus 12V triggers for activating things such as curtains or rollup screens. The ScreenPlay's native resolution is a 16:9 aspect 1280 x 720, so things look nice and sharp if you're using component or DVI inputs. We found that S-Video was, quite frankly, lacking in the detail department and our image tended to look pixelated and messy from a normal viewing distance. We'd recommend you do the ScreenPlay 5000 justice by plugging in using component leads or a DVI cable to get optimal picture quality.
We threw some of the new Windows Media Video HD content at it using the supplied DVI cable on a high-spec PC. The high-definition video looked glorious and the ScreenPlay 5000 was finally showing what it was really capable of.
Detail was excellent and all the messy pixelation of the S-Video cable-powered DVD session was gone, while colours--particularly skin tones--were warm and accurate.
In terms of features, there's plenty to like about the 5000, including an easy-to-use menu system that can be operated using either the buttons atop the projector or the remote control. Sadly, there is no lens shift mechanism to make physical adjustments to the projector's alignment; there's only the standard single adjustable foot at the rear of the projector.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!WA
- FT.Net Developer (x2)NSW
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project MangerVIC
- CCLevel 1 IT Support OfficerACT
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- TPProject Manager - General InsuranceNSW
- FTApplication Security SpecialistVIC
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!NSW
- FTMS Dynamics DevelopersNSW
- TPSystems ManagerQLD
- FTDWH Developer - Hyperion / DatastageNSW
- FTDrupal Developer - SeniorQLD
- FTHead of Architecture, Global Financial InstitutionNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Reports EditorQLD
- FTProduct Manager - FintechNSW
- TPAPS6 Java DeveloperACT
- FTBusiness Change Lead, OrganisationalNSW
- FTSenior Web DeveloperVIC
- FTUX DesignerNSW
- FTSenior / Lead AEM DeveloperNSW
- CCDomino SpecialistVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Applications SupportNSW
- TPSenior SAP Time and Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD