InFocus IN3106 projector
Portable but high-quality projectors are now more accessible than ever, with models such as the InFocus IN3106 leading the way
- Great picture quality, quiet
- Slow framerates when using DisplayLink USB connection
This latest-generation DLP projector may be addressed to professional business movers who need a portable and high-quality solution, but it’s image quality stands above expectation, making it suitable for home cinema use. Quieter than older projectors, and with its versatile USB video input, the InFocus IN3106 comes highly recommended.
Price$ 3,899.00 (AUD)
The InFocus IN3106 is a high-definition DLP projector that includes useful features such as USB DisplayLink. So as well as the expected VGA D-Sub, DVI and S-video inputs, you can now project the screen of a laptop over just a USB connection.
The InFocus IN3106's DisplayLink technology requires you only to install a software driver on a Windows or Mac PC, after which the projector can take video output from your computer as if you'd used a traditional video cable. We found picture quality using this method was better than analog VGA for still images, but the drawback is that framerates for moving video images are conspicuously slower. Instead of seeing 25 or 30fps from usual video samples, we estimated something closer to 10fps. So, best keep the USB cable handy only for more static presentations.
The InFocus IN3106 itself is a compact affair, sold with a sturdy nylon carry case into which you can also store all the necessary cables and accessories provided. At just over 3kg, this is a good travel solution for business, and system noise was low too.
Setup and control is easy, with the menus kept understandably simple and common adjustments such as keystone available from touch-sensitive backlit buttons on the projector's top. Focus and picture size are manually adjusted from rings accessible from behind the lens on the top panel. An infrared remote control is also included, with sensors on front and back panels of the InFocus IN3106.
In picture quality, the InFocus IN3106 easily met with InFocus' usual high standard. There was a smooth, grain-free rendering to projected images, and video flowed smoothly with no disturbing motion artefacts. Colours were rich and well-hued. Flesh tones appeared entirely natural, an area where our eyes are particularly sensitive to deviation from good colour fidelity. Even colour-wheel chromatic flickering, a problem with early DLP technology was, in essence, absent in this 5-segment design.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
- InFocus releases cheap short-throw projector
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- FTPre- Sales Solution ArchitectVIC
- TPService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- CCDelphix Technical SpecialistVIC
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW