Imagenomic Portraiture 2
Portraiture is a powerful, effective plug-in that automates skin smoothing and blemish removal.
- Outstanding automated skin smoothing function; can output to separate layer
- Layers don’t output properly on Smart Objects
Portraiture is a great plug-in that automates skin smoothing and blemish removal. It's full of nifty extra functions, time saving tools and it works in 8-bit and 16-bit RGB modes.
Price$ 324.74 (AUD)
Retouching skin blemishes, make-up imperfections and the effects of strong lighting is a laborious process that — unless you’re a full-time retouch artist — can eat into the time you want to spend being creative on a project. Portraiture is a plug-in that automates skin smoothing and blemish removal — and it’s one that most digital artists will want to get their hands on, as it’s powerful, effective, and full of nifty extra functions.
When you first apply the plug-in, it scans the image to establish which areas are skin tones, then smoothes these to hide imperfections. For many images that’s all you’ll need to do, as it does an excellent job without manual tweaking. It had no problem with different types of skin tones — and was capable even with troublesome images (as above right and below).
If you want to fine-tune the results, there’s a small number of powerful controls available to you. The presets give you quick access to smoothing, or lighting effects based on the Enhancements panel. You can also create your own presets, for example tuned to a particular model’s skin colour under set lighting, which you can use to batch process a whole shoot.
You alter what Portraiture considers to be skin tones using the Skin Tones Mask panel, which includes an eyedropper and other controls. These are linked to a Mask Preview window, which shows which areas will be smoothed. The plug-in scans all areas of your image, so will likely pick up other areas in your picture as skin tones, but as Portraiture can output the changed pixels with a transparency mask as a separate layer in Photoshop, you can quickly erase them back in the main tool.
Portraiture works in 8-bit and 16-bit RGB modes, and as a Smart Object, but we did find a bug when outputting a masked layer on a Smart Object.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- New Google prompt vastly simplifies two-factor authentication
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTVoice ArchitectNSW
- CCProduct Solution DesignerVIC
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160628/P/133Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCIT Change Coordinator / AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCTechnology DeveloperVIC
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- FTInfrastructure/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- CCProject Master SchedulerVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- CCWindows 2003-2012 R2 Active Directory Consultant/ManagerNSW
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- CCSystems EngineerNSW