The King of Fighters XII
The King of Fighters XII is a welcome change of pace for the series as a whole
- Impressive graphics, slimmed-down fighting system feels more natural
- Not enough content, lack of features doesn't provide a truly deep experience
While it doesn't stand toe-to-toe with games like BlazBlue and Street Fighter IV, The King of Fighters XII still has enough style that some SNK fans will appreciate some long overdue change.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
The Aging King
I'm glad that The King of Fighters XII has such an easier combat system to get used to, though, which is more reliant on reflexes and hand-eye coordination and less on memorising button sequences. The Clash System feels natural and can be huge motivation to perfect your timing, while the Critical Counter system feels rewarding to pull off (when you can actually time it right). I can tell that KoF XII is aimed at drawing in new fans to the series, and as an arcade title, it could do just that. As a console game, though, it runs the high risk of entertaining for a short week before finding itself forgotten in your game collection.
Most gamers may not want to pay full retail price for only a handful of light features, despite how pretty the game is, but if you love your fighters old-school and 2D, The King of Fighters XII is probably worth checking out.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: The busiest, biggest and best Samsung phablet
- 3 Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- 4 Nokia Lumia 735 review: Perfectly ordinary
- 5 Bowers & Wilkins P5 (Series 2) review: For elegant sound
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- My gripe with Apple’s iPhones
- Weather.com fixes web application vulnerabilities
- Early version of new POS malware family spotted
- Syrian Electronic Army posts hacking message on several news sites
- Fastest LTE speed will be out of reach for most users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC