IBM Australia ThinkVision L190
- Simple, good graphics, very good text display.
- None to speak of.
The IBM ThinkVision L190 delivers crisp text in an easy-to-use, no-frills package.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The IBM ThinkVision L190 is as simple as an LCD monitor gets. This analog-only model takes a just-the-facts-ma'am approach, eschewing advanced extras in favor of simplicity and a low price. As its boxy, businesslike shape suggests, the L190 performs better at office tasks, like displaying text, than at presenting complex graphics.
We ran it through a series of tests. On a fonts test, the L190 made regular and reverse text of several sizes look sharp and readable. We had no major complaints about graphics, although we noted that the default settings were a little too cold to make our fruit tart test photo look appetizing. All in all, the L190 produced very good text results, and quite decent graphics results as well.
Usability is one of the L190's strong suits. The online manual includes black-and-white diagrams suitable for printing, and it defines the three colour presets in real words (6500 degrees Kelvin as "pink white," for instance). Even without a manual, navigating the basic, well-organized screen adjustment menus with IBM's usual wavy buttons takes little effort. Though I'd have liked the stand better if it had offered height or swivel adjustments in addition to tilt, it certainly does feel sturdy.
If you're replacing a CRT or a smaller LCD, the L190 will suffice for general office use. If price is paramount, you may want to compare the L190 to Samsung's SyncMaster 915n, a similar monitor that cost slightly less at time of writing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTSecurity ExpertACT
- CCSolution Architect - IntegrationSA
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - Citrix & VMWareNSW
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCSharepoint Analyst DeveloperNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia