IBM Australia Lenovo ThinkCentre M52-9210-D1M
- Biometrics included
- No office applications included
A corporate machine for the security conscious business user looking for stability and reliability.
Price$ 1,350.00 (AUD)
Lenovo's new ThinkCentre comes tailored for your office right out of the box. For all of its business acumen, though, office applications are notably absent from its software suite.
Included software from Lenovo concentrates on recovery, maintenance and security. IBM Client Security Software, PC Doctor and Create Recovery Disc, among others, enhance the reliability of the platform. The support for fingerprint recognition and an embedded security chip will be welcomed by many businesses. However, a fingerprint scanner must be purchased separately.
The unit is has a small footprint at 8cm x 31cm x 35cm and comes without a monitor, as many workplaces will have these already. The ThinkCentre comes with a stand so it can be positioned horizontally or vertically, further increasing desk space. The case is well-built and incredibly strong. Tucked inside is a 3GHz Pentium 4 processor and an 80GB hard drive without locking SATA clips. The built-in speaker is small, but will deliver all the sound you need for office work. On the back are six USB 2.0 ports, two serial ports, Gigabit Ethernet connection and VGA output. On the front are two more USB 2.0 ports, microphone and headphone ports.
The chassis is completely tool-less and can be easily popped open for maintenance. The ThinkCentre is upgradeable, with one spare PCI slot and a one spare PCIe x1 slot. There is also one RAM slot available to boost it from its current 512MB DDR2 RAM to a max of 4GB. The optical drive, which is 16x DVD and 48x CD, doesn't burn discs. This might seem annoying, but adds to data security. However, it does leave me questioning why there are eight USB 2.0 ports which you cannot lock down.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- Intel gets down with Chrome OS in new Acer all-in-one
- Apple reseller Next Byte shuts down
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- CCSenior Systems Analyst (Biomedical)SA
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCProject Server Specialist / MS ProjectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Crystal Report) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- FTBusiness Analyst / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCMultiple Java rolesACT
- CCOracle CC&B Technical AnalystVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCContracts ManagerNSW
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCPortfolio-Program SchedulerNSW
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - SCOM/SCCM/PowerShellVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW