IBM Australia Lenovo ThinkCentre A51
- Comparitively poor performance
Small, rugged and good looking, the ThinkCentre A51 is suitable for everyday office tasks and won't occupy too much space on the desk. Its tool-less design and its comfortable keyboard and 17in monitor make it a pleasure to work on. We do wish it was a better performer and had a longer standard warranty period.
Price$ 2,079.00 (AUD)
Ruggedly built, yet small in stature, this desktop has the same configuration as the M51, apart for an extra 512MB of memory and a larger hard drive. As such, it performed slightly better in World Bench 5 than its larger cousin and is a unit that should definitely be considered for large desktop roll-outs. The ThinkCentre A51 from Lenovo is based on the Intel 915G chipset and has a 3GHz Pentium 4 CPU along with 1GB of DDR memory and a 160GB hard drive.
Physically, its relatively small dimensions allow the unit to be placed flat on the desk with the monitor on top; or it can be stood up, tower style, with the included stand. Tool-less entry into the chassis and tool-less manipulation of the main components makes maintenance a breeze.
Like the ThinkCentre M51 series, the ThinkCentre A51 series features Lenovo's hardware and software security features, plus data backup and recovery software.
Supplied with a 17in LCD monitor and a very sturdy keyboard, the A51 is a pleasure to use, but still lacks the grunt of comparable configurations. Its performance is adequate for spreadsheets, wordprocessing and Internet browsing, as well as multitasking. However, if tougher tasks need to be undertaken then, like the M51, this model will struggle.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Dell retires Alienware's X51, the desktop that kicked off the tiny gaming PC revolution
- Reports: Surface all-in-one PC coming as soon as later this year
- Alienware's sleek backpack PC is a dorky, but practical solution to a big VR problem
- Valve's Steam Machines aren't gaining steam, but they inspired wonderful creations
- Pausing on the PC death march
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCProject Coordinator/ Jr Business Analyst- Govt backgroundNSW
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCUser Access Review (UAR) DeveloperVIC
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CC.Net DeveloperACT