- Touch screen display, FM recording, USB 2.0 interface
- Can't record TV
The i-Station PMP1000 is a reasonably priced multimedia player with a handy touch screen.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Portable media players let you stow in your pocket favourite TV shows, movies, music and photos--a mix of entertainment otherwise confined to your desktop computer. Although Microsoft is pushing players based on the mobile version of its Media Center software, there are a variety of alternatives available, each with a different take on the concept--from physical design to user interface.
Most media players have had similar drawbacks: high price tags, barely pocketable sizes, and minimal extra features. However, the i-Station PMP1000 and Archos PMA430 introduced a new touch, quite literally, as they were the first to include a 3.5" touch screen display. This is a boon for ease of use. The i-Station is well built and a tad smaller than some earlier players. The PMP1000 is equipped with a 20GB hard disks; enough capacity for roughly 4500 songs or roughly seven movies. It has a USB 2.0 interface, can also double as an external hard disk and includes internal directory structures for organising your media files (see specifications for full listing of supported photo, music and movie file formats).
The devices can record input from built-in microphones and line-input directly to MP3. The i-Station PMP1000 can also output to TV (S-Video) but not record. Its extra features include FM radio tuning and recording plus built-in dictionary, calendar, calculator and a text viewer.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTLead Tableau Reporting ConsultantNSW
- CCRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- FTAutomation Test Engineer | C#/.Net focusNSW
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCTechnical Writer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- FTSystems application support analystNSW
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Oracle) 160603/AP/vmpAsia
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSystems Analyst - ERPNSW
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia
- CCInside Sales Specialist / Customer Service - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia