HumanConcepts OrgPlus 6 Professional
- Works well, Powerful tools
- Niche product, Unattractive interface
OrgPlus 6 Professional is a solid package if org charts are your thing
Price$ 396.30 (AUD)
HumanConcepts' OrgPlus 6 Professional is a well-trained one-trick pony. And it does that one trick -- creating organizational charts -- very well, once you take the time to get familiar with the program.
A graphics package with spreadsheet capabilities, OrgPlus is geared toward presenting employee data. You could chart other things -- ideas or workflow -- using its ample drawing, alignment, and formatting tools, but you would not be taking full advantage of the app. We tested a prerelease version of OrgPlus 6 Professional, designed to chart 100 to 1000 employees.
You can loosely break up the program's new features into formatting, data manipulation, and distribution tools. Formatting enhancements include a free-form tool for putting a box anywhere on the page. This tool matches a corresponding one in Microsoft Visio, OrgPlus's main competitor. You can collapse multiple boxes into a single box to save screen space, and you can add pictures to boxes.
Hotspots and more
Hotspots let you add data to a chart without cluttering it up. After you include specific employee information in the hotspot, you can then assign the hotspot to an area of one or more chart boxes. When you mouse over the designated box area (and wait a few seconds), this information appears in a rollover graphic.
You can import data easily from Excel and ODBC databases using the Import Data wizard. Once in OrgPlus, the data populates the fields, and the app creates a hierarchical chart. In the window's right pane, you can then manipulate how you view and work with different subsets of data.
New to OrgPlus 6 is the ability to use Boolean-like parameters to search through fields to create custom reports; unfortunately, you can't save the parameters of a search. The new version has improved its Excel-style formulas and added context-sensitive chart legends, too. A legend could note, for example, that the box for any employee who makes over $100,000 is highlighted in red. OrgPlus also lets you combine multiple division charts into one large chart.
We found OrgPlus easy to use once we read the Help menu tutorials and waded through the 412-page PDF manual (boxed copies have a printed manual). These aids helped us overcome the software's penchant for burying features deep in menus and behind unintuitive toolbar button icons. The interface is functional but not pretty; ditto for the templates and graphic formatting. Though we tested the program on a fairly robust desktop PC, the software was sluggish when we handled large charts, and we encountered a few screen refresh snafus. HumanConcepts says it has no other reported instances of these issues and suspects a software conflict on our PC.
OrgPlus 6 Professional is a solid package. If org charts are your thing, get it. If you use OrgPlus 5 Professional and have to massage and present large data sets aggregated from multiple divisions, version 6 is a worthy upgrade.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
- Panasonic pushes buttons with smart home prototypes at SXSW
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCInfosphere ConsultantACT
- CCDigital Business ArchitectACT
- FTETL Informatica DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Security AnalystACT
- FTICT Change AnalystSA
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistNSW
- CCFinancial/Logistics Administration OfficerACT
- FTSenior Microsoft EngineerVIC
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- TPSalesforce Functional AnalystNSW
- FTSenior / Lead AEM DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCLevel 1 IT Support OfficerACT
- FTProject Manager- SAP FICO implementationNSW
- FTHead of Architecture, Global Financial InstitutionNSW
- FTGraduate Application Support Analyst -SMSF SoftwareNSW
- TPApplication DeveloperACT
- CCProcurement OfficerQLD
- FTHyperion SpecialistNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTSalesforce Marketing Cloud ConsultantVIC
- FTSAP Logistics ConsultantNSW