Huawei IDEOS X6 Android phone (preview)
Huawei IDEOS X6 preview: Huawei's flagship Android smartphone boasts a 4.1in touchscreen
- 4.1in screen
- HD video recording
- Large screen may drain battery life
- No announced price or availability yet
Huawei is hoping its flagship Huawei IDEOS X6 Android phone can compete with the big boys. It boasts a 4.1in touchscreen, HDMI-out, and 720p HD video recording, and pairs these features with impressive specifications to match. Watch this space.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Ascend Mate7 Unlocked 699.00
Little-known Chinese manufacturer Huawei has recently made a splash in the low end of the Android smartphone market with budget models like the IDEOS U8150 and IDEOS X5. However, its latest Android phone is a completely different kettle of fish — the flagship Huawei IDEOS X6 boasts a 4.1in touchscreen, has an HDMI-out port and can record 720p HD video, and pairs these features with impressive specifications to match.
The Huawei IDEOS X6 runs the 2.2 'Froyo' version of Google's Android operating system, has a 4.1in capacitive touchscreen display and a 5-megapixel camera that doubles as a 720p HD video recorder. The IDEOS X6 smartphone also has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS connectivity, and is powered by impressive internals — it has a 1GHz processor, 512MB of RAM and 2GB of internal storage.
The Huawei IDEOS X6's impressive specifications mean it will compete at a higher end of the market than the company's traditional budget models. Critically, its 4.1in display is significantly larger than the iPhone 4's 3.5in screen, so it will become one of the largest smartphone screens on the Australian market. It also has a microSD card slot, so storage can be expanded up to 32GB.
Huawei says the IDEOS X6 has a big emphasis on entertainment, hence the inclusion of an HDMI-out port. This means the IDEOS X6 can connect directly to a high-definition television or home theatre system to stream video and audio content.
According to Huawei, upgrading the IDEOS X6 smartphone to the latest 2.3 Gingerbread version of Android is "technically possible" but the company can't confirm any upgrade plans yet. We wouldn't hold our breath, but an upgrade to the latest version of Android would certainly enhance the credentials of the IDEOS X6, even if it remains appealing in its current state.
We'll be keen to test performance and battery life in particular when we put the Huawei IDEOS X6 through its paces for a full review, but its 1GHz processor and a 1500mAh battery look promising enough, at least on paper.
The Huawei IDEOS X6 Android phone will launch in Australia in Q2. Pricing has not yet been announced.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Is the smartphone market saturated?
- Motorola's revamped Moto range is coming to Australia
- Meet Arrow, a new Android launcher from Microsoft's Garage
- OnePlus 2 goes official from $329
- Most Android phones can be hacked with a simple MMS message or multimedia file
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW