Huawei IDEOS X6 Android phone (preview)
Huawei IDEOS X6 preview: Huawei's flagship Android smartphone boasts a 4.1in touchscreen
- 4.1in screen
- HD video recording
- Large screen may drain battery life
- No announced price or availability yet
Huawei is hoping its flagship Huawei IDEOS X6 Android phone can compete with the big boys. It boasts a 4.1in touchscreen, HDMI-out, and 720p HD video recording, and pairs these features with impressive specifications to match. Watch this space.
Little-known Chinese manufacturer Huawei has recently made a splash in the low end of the Android smartphone market with budget models like the IDEOS U8150 and IDEOS X5. However, its latest Android phone is a completely different kettle of fish — the flagship Huawei IDEOS X6 boasts a 4.1in touchscreen, has an HDMI-out port and can record 720p HD video, and pairs these features with impressive specifications to match.
The Huawei IDEOS X6 runs the 2.2 'Froyo' version of Google's Android operating system, has a 4.1in capacitive touchscreen display and a 5-megapixel camera that doubles as a 720p HD video recorder. The IDEOS X6 smartphone also has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS connectivity, and is powered by impressive internals — it has a 1GHz processor, 512MB of RAM and 2GB of internal storage.
The Huawei IDEOS X6's impressive specifications mean it will compete at a higher end of the market than the company's traditional budget models. Critically, its 4.1in display is significantly larger than the iPhone 4's 3.5in screen, so it will become one of the largest smartphone screens on the Australian market. It also has a microSD card slot, so storage can be expanded up to 32GB.
Huawei says the IDEOS X6 has a big emphasis on entertainment, hence the inclusion of an HDMI-out port. This means the IDEOS X6 can connect directly to a high-definition television or home theatre system to stream video and audio content.
According to Huawei, upgrading the IDEOS X6 smartphone to the latest 2.3 Gingerbread version of Android is "technically possible" but the company can't confirm any upgrade plans yet. We wouldn't hold our breath, but an upgrade to the latest version of Android would certainly enhance the credentials of the IDEOS X6, even if it remains appealing in its current state.
We'll be keen to test performance and battery life in particular when we put the Huawei IDEOS X6 through its paces for a full review, but its 1GHz processor and a 1500mAh battery look promising enough, at least on paper.
The Huawei IDEOS X6 Android phone will launch in Australia in Q2. Pricing has not yet been announced.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
- Android device updates: Nougat rollout begins for the Moto Z Play
- Android device updates: Nougat is coming to the Moto G4, G4 Plus
- Beyond smartphones, Samsung wants its Exynos 9 chip in VR headsets
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTInside Sales Consultants - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Digitalisation projectsQLD
- FTFinance AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Test Analyst-InfrastructureNSW
- FTICT Security AnalystQLD
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- FTICT Business Development Manager - Technical Products/SolutionsQLD
- FTSoftware Tech Lead - C++ Back Office Trading SystemsNSW
- TPNode JS DeveloperNSW
- FTManagement AccountantNSW
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPEngineer Desktop DevelopmentVIC
- CCLightweight Directory Access Procol (LDAP) DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior IOS DeveloperNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCAgile Project ManagerNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystems AdministratorQLD
- FTSystem EngineersVIC
- FTTechnical Expert | 3mth+contractVIC
- TPSenior Node.JS DeveloperNSW
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistNSW