Huawei Ascend D Quad XL Android phone (preview)
Huawei's Ascend D Quad XL aims for 2-3 days of battery life
- Large 2500mAh battery
- Quad-core processor
- IPS HD display
- Large battery adds thickness
- No Australian release date
Huawei's Ascend D Quad XL promises up to three days of battery life thanks to a huge 2500mAh battery. We'll be keen to put these figures to the test if or when it eventually makes its way to Australia.
Modern day smartphones pack plenty of technology into a small package, which is why most of them struggle to last a full day before needing a recharge. Huawei is aiming to change that with the Ascend D Quad XL, an Android phone that promises up to three days of battery life.
The key feature of the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL is obviously its huge 2500mAh battery. This is significantly larger than most other smartphone batteries on the market including the popular Samsung Galaxy S III (2100mAh).
A 400mAh difference doesn't sound like much between these smartphones, but Huawei says the inclusion of proprietary energy management software on the Ascend D Quad XL is the key to its longer life. We're not sure how accurate Huawei's three day figures are (we'd honestly be surprised if the battery lasted more than a full day), but it would be a hugely impressive feat if it worked as advertised.
Aside from its large battery, the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL boasts pretty impressive specifications. It is powered by the company's in-house developed processor, the 1.5GHz quad-core K3 V2 chip, and has a 4.5in screen with a 720p HD resolution. The larger battery means the Ascend D Quad XL (10.9mm) is slightly thicker than the very similar Ascend D Quad (8.9mm). It's also a little heavier at 150g.
The Ascend D Quad XL's IPS+ display has a pixels per inch (ppi) rating of 326ppi, equal with the iPhone 4S (326ppi) and ahead of both the Samsung Galaxy S III (306ppi) and the HTC One X (312ppi). This impressive ppi figure means the Ascend D Quad XL should display a very high level of detail that will make individual pixels on the screen hard to distinguish.
Other features of the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL include an 8-megapixel rear camera that doubles as a full HD 1080p video recorder and a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera that can record 720p HD video. There's only 8GB of internal memory but a microSD card slot means this can be expanded.
Huawei hasn't yet revealed whether the Ascend D Quad XL will be released in Australia.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 3 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
- 5 Parrot Mambo Drone review
Latest News Articles
- The mysteries of the GPU in Apple's iPhone 7 are unlocked
- Motorola looks to pair Moto Z for a dance with Tango
- Google may be testing out a new card-based layout for the Play Store
- Samsung Galaxy S8 rumor roundup: Here's everything we know so far
- Android malware steals access to more than 1 million Google accounts
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTHead of User ResearchNSW
- CCIngres DeveloperSA
- CCProject Manager/Scrum MasterNSW
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementWA
- CCSenior Network ConsultantVIC
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- TPProject Coordinator. Business Process Improvement ProgramNSW
- FTJava / API DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution Architect - PHPNSW
- CCCloud Automation Engineer. Work Location - CanberraNSW
- FTSecurity AdministratorVIC
- CCWeb DesignerNSW
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementNSW
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Change Manager- Electrical Network EngineeringSA
- CCNetwork Solution Designer/Architect - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Security and Risk ConsultantNSW
- CCIT Service Design Analyst- ITSMNSW
- CCFinancial AnalystNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTServicing Financial Planner - CBDVIC