HTC Thunderbolt smartphone (preview)
The HTC Thunderbolt sports a 4.3in Super LCD screen, a front-facing video camera and a kickstand
- 4.3in Super LCD screen, 8-megapixel camera, decent performance
- In the absence of a national LTE network we're unlikely to see it in Australia (at least in its current form)
The HTC Thunderbolt is equipped with a 4.3in Super LCD screen. It feels really well-constructed and solid in hand while maintaining the slick aesthetic we've come to expect of HTC phones.
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Probably the worst-kept secret phone of CES, the HTC Thunderbolt is finally official on the 4G LTE network of US telco Verizon. I got a chance to play with the HTC Thunderbolt on the showfloor and for a bit longer at an HTC gathering at In-and-Out (yes, that In-and-Out). There have been an overwhelming number of exciting phones at CES, but the Thunderbolt is one of my favorites.
Similar in design to the HTC EVO 4G, the monstrous Thunderbolt sports a 4.3in Super LCD screen, a front-facing video camera and yes, even a kickstand. It feels really well-constructed and solid in hand while maintaining the slick aesthetic we've come to expect of HTC phones. It also has an 8-megapixel camera, which took pretty clean pictures in the bright lights of the Las Vegas In-and-Out.
Running HTC Sense over Android 2.2, the Thunderbolt also incorporates Skype video chat into the HTC Sense interface. The Thunderbolt has 8GB of on-board storage with a 768 RAM Memory card and comes preinstalled with 32 GB microSD. So basically, this thing is a multimedia powerhouse.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Telstra restores mobile network after mass outage
- Amaysim wins with lowest TIO complaints
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- 7 smartphone trends to watch this year
- LG G5 to debut on February 21, going head-to-head with Galaxy S7
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Software Engineer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital -PenrithNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCProcurement Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCSharePoint Web DeveloperACT
- FTIT Project ManagerSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Reports/JAVA/SQL) 160129/P/vhs-cAsia
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- CCSenior Server EngineerNSW
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSystems AnalystQLD