HTC Thunderbolt smartphone (preview)
The HTC Thunderbolt sports a 4.3in Super LCD screen, a front-facing video camera and a kickstand
- 4.3in Super LCD screen, 8-megapixel camera, decent performance
- In the absence of a national LTE network we're unlikely to see it in Australia (at least in its current form)
The HTC Thunderbolt is equipped with a 4.3in Super LCD screen. It feels really well-constructed and solid in hand while maintaining the slick aesthetic we've come to expect of HTC phones.
Probably the worst-kept secret phone of CES, the HTC Thunderbolt is finally official on the 4G LTE network of US telco Verizon. I got a chance to play with the HTC Thunderbolt on the showfloor and for a bit longer at an HTC gathering at In-and-Out (yes, that In-and-Out). There have been an overwhelming number of exciting phones at CES, but the Thunderbolt is one of my favorites.
Similar in design to the HTC EVO 4G, the monstrous Thunderbolt sports a 4.3in Super LCD screen, a front-facing video camera and yes, even a kickstand. It feels really well-constructed and solid in hand while maintaining the slick aesthetic we've come to expect of HTC phones. It also has an 8-megapixel camera, which took pretty clean pictures in the bright lights of the Las Vegas In-and-Out.
Running HTC Sense over Android 2.2, the Thunderbolt also incorporates Skype video chat into the HTC Sense interface. The Thunderbolt has 8GB of on-board storage with a 768 RAM Memory card and comes preinstalled with 32 GB microSD. So basically, this thing is a multimedia powerhouse.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google's modular smartphone project sacrificed its original vision to move forward
- Android device updates: HTC 10 is getting stability fixes and preview 3 is headed to Android N
- Google I/O 2016: Every Android app – really – is coming to Chrome
- Zip! Pow! Google debuts Android Instant Apps that load without installation
- Nokia-branded Android phones will return to the market
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperSA
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- CCSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCTechnical System Engineer (Linux/Mobile/SQL)160524/TSE/vmtAsia
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCProject/ Change ManagerQLD
- FTSolution Architect - Capacity ManagementVIC
- FTBusiness Systems AnalystNSW
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC