- Built-in GPS receiver, HSDPA capable, Wi-Fi, Windows Mobile 6, excellent scroll wheel
- No 3.5mm headphone jack, in-call volume, glossy design attracts smudges
The p3600i is a feature-packed device and the scroll wheel makes navigating through it an effortless job.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
A slight upgrade to the Dopod D810, (now re-branded as HTC after a takeover), HTC has fitted the p3600i with the Windows Mobile 6 operating system, but it retains most of its brother's features – headed by HSPDA-connectivity, a built-in GPS receiver, 802.11g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
The p3600i is a quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900), tri-band 3G (850/1900/2100), GPRS and 3.5G HSDPA capable smartphone. It performs quite well for voice calls, with reasonable in-call quality, but we found the volume a little soft. Being a 3G handset, the p3600i is capable of video calling thanks to a front mounted VGA camera.
Running the latest Windows Mobile 6 operating system, the p3600i has Office Mobile, consisting of mobile versions of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications. There is also Windows Live, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player programs. Both the built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and the GPRS/EDGE wireless functionality make the p3600i an excellent e-mail device. The standard Windows Mobile messaging application supports push e-mail from a Microsoft Exchange mail server, as well as standard POP3 and IMAP e-mail accounts (Hotmail, GMail and Yahoo!). Connectivity is in the form of Bluetooth 2.0 (with support for A2DP) and USB 2.0. Unfortunately, the media support is let-down by a mini-USB headphone jack instead of the standard 3.5mm.
Updating from Windows Mobile 5 to 6 requires increased performance and HTC has installed a faster processor – 400MHz over the previous 200MHz. Performance is notable with minimal delay when switching between applications, though some parts of the Windows interface are still sluggish. Also under the hood are 64MB RAM and 128MB flash memory. A microSD card slot is present in a convenient right-side location, covered by a plastic flap.
In terms of design, the p3600i is finished in an attractive, gloss black plastic, which makes it a real fingerprint magnet. Usability is great thanks to the three-way scroll wheel. Scroll up and down to move through menu items and press in to select. The p3600i still includes a stylus and the standard array of buttons, but the scroll wheel makes navigation easy and effective.
Our review unit was fitted with the latest CoPilot Live 7 navigation software. The built-in GPS receiver worked well during testing, managing to maintain a relatively stable signal throughout our journey. You can read more about CoPilot Live 7 in our stand-alone review.
The 2-megapixel camera takes decent, but far from outstanding photos. The lack of flash or light means night-time photography is virtually impossible though. The front mounted VGA camera can double as a camera for portrait photos. Video recording, panorama, burst and sports scene modes and a two- or five-second self-timer are other features.
Battery life is excellent according to HTC's figures of the eight days standby time and over four hours of talk time – impressive considering the specifications and capabilities of this device.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye GPS? DARPA preparing alternative position-tracking technology
- Elon Musk: Teslas could drive themselves, today
- Nvidia unveils $10,000 autonomous driving computer
- Driverless cars in the UK gets the OK from government
- Spotify hijacks Uber speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW