HTC Flyer Android tablet (preview)
HTC Flyer preview: HTC's first Android tablet -- the 7in Flyer -- has a brushed steel body, and a 'Scribe' pen to take notes and drawings
- Brushed steel body, Scribe pen, HTC Sense optimised for larger screen, 32GB internal memory
- Android 2.4 rather than 3.0, No confirmed Australian release date
The HTC Flyer Android tablet attempts to distinguish itself from the competition by offering a 'Scribe' pen to take notes and drawings.
HTC has announced the launch of its first Android tablet, the Android-powered HTC Flyer.
The main differentiating point of Android tablets is the size of the display. The HTC Flyer has a 7in screen with a resolution of 1024x600, which makes it much smaller than the Apple iPad and the rumoured, upcoming iPad 2. The Flyer's 7in capacitive touchscreen means it's a similar size to the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but HTC has equipped the flyer with a brushed steel body, rather than the glossy plastic used on the Galaxy Tab.
A feature not seen on any other Android tablet is HTC's 'Scribe' pen, which is basically a fancy stylus. Thankfully, you don't need the Scribe pen to operate the HTC Flyer; it is mainly for HTC's notes application. Here users can draw notes on the screen and record audio simultaneously, while you can also make comments on web pages and books. The recording and note taking function built into the Scribe, called 'Timemark' then allows you to press on your notes to hear what was recorded at that particular point in time.
Other distinguishing features of the HTC Flyer Android tablet include an optimised version of HTC Sense specifically designed for tablets, a video-on-demand service called 'HTC Watch' and a cloud gaming service called 'OnLive'. Strangely, the HTC Flyer runs the 2.4 Gingerbread version of Google's Android platform, rather than the 3.0 Honeycomb version that was designed specifically for tablet devices. Instead, HTC has chosen to optimise the Sense UI to suit the larger tablet screen with a 3D carousel-style home screen and optimised gallery, books, mail and weather apps.
The HTC Flyer Android tablet is powered by a 1.5GHz processor, and 1GB of RAM. It comes with 32GB of internal memory, along with a microSD card slot for extra storage. The Flyer also has a 5-megapixel camera that doubles as a 720p HD video recorder, a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video calls, GPS, Wi-Fi, and a 4000mAh rated battery that is claimed to be good for four hours of continuous video playback.
HTC has not announced whether the Flyer Android tablet will be launched in Australia, and no pricing details have been revealed. The tablet will be available in the second quarter of this year in other markets.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Tablet modules add features but limit functionality
- Apple working on a fix for iPad Pros bricked by iOS 9.3.2
- As tablet sales take a dive, analysts expect smartphone vendors to launch convertibles
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Display expert: The 9.7-inch iPad Pro's color accuracy is “visually indistinguishable from perfect”
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD