HP Pre 3 webOS smartphone (preview)
HP Pre 3 preview: HP's Pre 3 gets a 3.6in capacitive touchscreen, slide-out keyboard
- 3.6in capacitive touchscreen, webOS, slide-out keyboard
- No confirmed Australian release, no expendable memory
HP's first webOS smartphone, the Pre 3, builds on the foundation of Palm's original Pre devices, but ups the ante with a bigger screen and a faster processor.
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
HP is attempting to become the latest significant player in the ever-popular smartphone category by launching the Pre 3; a smartphone running Palm's webOS operating system.
Check out our guide to the best upcoming smartphones in 2011.
The HP Pre 3 smartphone has a 3.6in touchscreen with 480x800 resolution, a 5-megapixel camera that doubles as a HD video recorder, and a front-facing camera for video calling. The Pre 3 is powered by a 1.4GHz Qualcomm processor, will come with 8GB or 16GB of memory and has 512MB RAM.
The HP Pre 3 smartphones runs the Palm developed webOS operating system which powered the Palm Pre smartphone; a product that sadly never made it to Australian shores. HP acquired struggling Palm for US$1.2 billion in July 2010, and the Pre 3 is one of the first in a suite of webOS-powered products promised by the company.
A key feature of the HP Pre 3's webOS operating system is multitasking via "cards" — a unique way of swiping through multiple open applications. HP claims users can easily move back and forth between cards, as well as group related cards in stacks.
Other features of the HP Pre 3 smartphone include HP Synergy, which groups contacts from multiple sources in a single application, Flash support, and the ability to synchronise documents with Google Docs, QuickOffice, Dropbox and Box.net. The HP Pre 3 can also act as a wireless mobile hotspot, sharing the phone data connection with multiple devices.
The HP Pre 3 smartphone also has "Touch-to-share" technology, which enables users to share content, read text messages and answer phone calls from a compatible HP smartphone or TouchPad tablet by simply tapping the devices together.
HP hasn't yet confirmed whether the Pre 3 smartphone will launch in Australia.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCNetwork EngineerACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- FTIT Support Analyst (Renewal Contract)Asia
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Toolset ReadinessNSW
- FTContract System SpecialistAsia
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160628/P/133Asia
- CCChange Manager, Digital ProgramNSW
- CCMiddleware Developer - BaselineACT
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSharepoint ConsultantQLD
- CCProject/ Program AnalystVIC
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW