HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus multifuction inkjet printer
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus review: This inkjet printer from HP produces A4 documents and photos quickly
- Fast draft printing, high quality Normal mode, good paper tray size and feeding options
- Few ePrint apps for businesses
HP's Web-enabled applications platform doesn't offer much in the way of extra value for business users at the moment, but as a medium-volume document printer the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus is a good choice nonetheless. This inkjet multifunction printer is also able to print high quality A4 photos, albeit slowly.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus is a multifunction inkjet printer aimed at small and medium businesses. It is able to print draft documents very quickly, and can produce high quality pages if you don't mind slower printing. It's also able to produce good quality photo prints.
Don't know which printer to buy? Use our printer finder wizard to pick the right model.
Learn how to pick the best printer for your home or business with our printer buying guide.
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus multifunction inkjet printer: Design, connectivity and specifications
The HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus is similar to the cheaper Officejet 7500A in design, with a top-mounted scanner and bottom-feeding paper cartridge. Its colour touchscreen control interface is larger than the 7500A at 4.3in, with large icons and responsive input.
Single- and multi-computer offices are well served by the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus's diverse range of connection options. The printer includes USB 2.0 and Ethernet connections, as well as 802.11n wireless networking. A phone jack is included for connection of the integrated fax.
The HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus has a 250-sheet input tray and a 150-sheet output tray, equalling or bettering many inkjet and laser printers of a similar price point. Along with a 15,000 page monthly duty cycle recommendation, these figures mean the Officejet Pro 8500A Plus is suitable for any small or medium business, as long as it isn't too heavy on paper usage.
Automatic duplex means that for unimportant documents it's easy to cut down on paper requirements. A 50-sheet automatic document feeder makes digitising multi-page documents a simple task. All of these features are a welcome inclusion in a printer that costs under $500.
All of HP's ePrint features are enabled on the Officejet Pro 8500A Plus, including the option to set up an e-mail address that prints all documents sent to it. The range of applications available isn't particularly attractive for businesses — beyond the interesting possibilities of Google Docs cloud storage, the service is limited to printable sudoku and weather data at the moment.
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus multifunction inkjet printer: Print speed, print quality and ink yields
If you want to quickly print pages, the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus rivals similarly priced colour laser printers when it is printing in Draft quality mode. We managed 31 pages over a minute when printing at the most efficient monochrome quality, and just under 30 pages in the first minute of colour printing. Text can seem undersaturated and a little fuzzy, but it's still easily legible at sizes of 8pt and above.
Like the Officejet 7500A, printing in Normal quality improves results dramatically. Text rivals entry-level lasers for clarity and we couldn't find any issues with saturation. Colour printing slows to 7 pages per minute, but monochrome production is still acceptable at 15 pages per minute.
We also used the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus to print a few A4 colour and monochrome prints. The black and white output isn't going to rival a dedicated photo printer like the Canon PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II, but for most print needs it can produce acceptable quality A4 pages.
Four ink cartridges — HP 940 black, cyan, magenta and yellow — means that it's possible to change individual tanks without wasting any ink. HP's cartridges for the Officejet Pro 8500A Plus are more expensive than the HP Officejet 7500A, but they have significantly higher ink yields. You can buy a standard or extra large black cartridge for $39 or $54 respectively, with commensurate 1000- and 2200-page yields which translate into very low 3.9cent and 2.4cent per page ongoing running costs. Only extra large colour cartridge are available for purchase at $39 each, making a full set of inks $117. This means individual colour pages cost 2.7 cents each, and tri-colour pages cost 8.1 cents.
While its built-in applications aren't particularly inspiring or especially relevant to business users, the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus does well what a printer should do best — it can produce draft prints quickly as well as high quality documents and photos. If you need an all-in-one for your SMB, the Officejet Pro 8500A is worthy of your consideration.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony finally back in the black (but not thanks to PlayStation)
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- FTHRIS ConsultantQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AgileQLD
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- TPSAP Helpdesk SupportACT
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- CCDemand/ Resource AnalystVIC