HP LaserJet P2055dn laser printer
A fast HP laser printer that produces good quality documents
- Fast printing, fantastic print quality, good security features
- Web interface is sparse, IP address must be printed
The HP LaserJet P2055dn monochrome laser printer is small, fast and produces high quality documents. Costlier printers offer more extensive network features, but the LaserJet P2055dn is great value at this price.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
If you need to print good quality monochrome documents quickly, HP's LaserJet P2055dn laser printer is certainly up to the job. It also has some security features that suit small networks and a "quiet mode".
The $899 LaserJet P2055dn mono laser printer adds automatic duplexing and a $100 premium to the HP P2055n base model. It has a 250-sheet paper tray and an additional multi-purpose tray; the HP LaserJet P2055x offers a paper capacity of 800 sheets. The printer comes standard with 128MB of memory, which is user-upgradeable to 384MB through a removable side panel. USB and Ethernet connections are both available.
It has a two-line, monochrome LCD and default print density settings can be changed from the printer itself. You can also access a cleaning mode that helps to eradicate dust build-up in the printer's movable parts, separately reset firewall and security settings to factory defaults, and choose whether the printer's Web server uses the HTTP or HTTPS (secure HTTP) protocol. Unfortunately, a network configuration report must be printed to determine the initial IP address it has been assigned.
The Web-based interface is sparse, with statistics and the consumables status being the most useful aspects. Using the interface, default print settings can be configured, and administrators can set up the LaserJet P2055dn mono laser printer's firewall policy. 802.1X authentication security is also included; this can also be found on competing printers like the Fuji Xerox Phaser 3435DN.
Print quality settings are separated into 600dpi, 1200dpi FastRes and 1200dpi ProRes modes. Though both the FastRes and ProRes resolutions are 1200dpi, the latter produces higher quality documents at a slower pace. At its fastest — using either the 600dpi or FastRes 1200dpi setting — the HP LaserJet P2055dn prints the first page of a document in an average 9.5sec and subsequent pages at a rate of 35 pages per minute (ppm).
It takes an average of 14.4sec for the first page to come out when using ProRes. The printer pauses on every second page. As a result the printer only takes 2.5sec to print a single page but the overall speed is closer to 14.7ppm; roughly four seconds per page.
HP has included a quiet mode on the LaserJet P2055dn mono laser printer. It does make it less noisy but it affects print speed, which slowed from 35ppm to 17.6ppm.
When using the ProRes setting you can also choose the preferred line density; a feature usually reserved for $2000+ mono laser printers like the HP LaserJet P4015n. When using these settings, the printer employs half-tones to increase the number of lines it prints in a given area, resulting in highly accurate documents.
Documents printed at the highest quality setting — ProRes 1200dpi at 180lpi line density — are very pleasing. Test characters are clean and have pinpoint accuracy.
With high yield cartridges installed, the LaserJet P2055dn mono laser printer costs an average of 4.8c per A4 page, which is certainly an appealing price for a mid-range printer.
Costlier printers offer more networking and security features, but the HP LaserJet P2055dn does offer fast print speeds. Its high line density settings make it a reasonably priced mid-range model for high quantity printing.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Planned new USB connector will fit both ways
- Toshiba offers to buy failed SSD maker OCZ
- Hitachi GST turns to helium to make hard disk drives more efficient
- WD completes $US685m Virident purchase
- WD adds Intel Xeon processing to its Windows-based Sentinel servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW