Hitachi Australia Deskstar 7K1000.B (HDT721010SLA360)
The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B hard drive is energy efficient and has a cheap cost per gigabyte.
- Very good price, relatively good for energy efficiency
- Slower read/write speeds than some other 7200rpm hard drives
The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B (HDT721010SLA360) internal hard drive provides energy efficiency at an excellent price. If you don't mind its speed and want a hard drive that is cheap to buy and run, this is well worth a look.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B (HDT721010SLA360) internal hard drive may have slower transfer speeds than other "green" drives, but it's cool, quiet and energy efficient. It is also cheap, making it an attractive option.
The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B has three platters and a 16MB buffer. It has an areal density of 244 gigabits per square inch.
To test out the drive's speed, we transferred 18.1GB of files between the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B and our testbed PC, which uses a Western Digital Velociraptor (WD3000GLFS).
The Western Digital RE2 GreenPower (WD1000FYPS) proved that cutting power usage didn't necessarily mean destroying performance. The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B provides decent read/write speeds in its own right, but it was slower than the WD hard drive in two out of three tests.
When reading data from the drive, the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B achieved an average speed of 58.979 megabytes per second, and writing information to the drive was done at an average speed of 60.767MBps. Both of these times are slower than the Western Digital RE2 GreenPower's read and write speeds of 69.30MBps and 68.62MBps, respectively. However, the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B excelled in the copy/transfer test, where we copy files from one location on the drive to another, by achieving a fantastic speed of 43.172MBps.
The drive reached a temperature of 40°C during these tests, so it's relatively cool, although this is 6°C above the Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EADS).
The Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B (HDT721010SLA360) hard drive consumes 5.225W of power when idle, 7.25W when writing and 6.7W when reading. This is lower than non-"green" drives like the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB hard drive. The Western Digital RE2 GreenPower (WD1000FYPS) only used 3.47W when idling and 7.62W when reading and writing from one location on the drive to another.
The formatted capacity of the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B is 931MB, which means the cost per formatted gigabyte is a very low 26.7 cents. By comparison, the Western Digital RE2 GreenPower has a cost per gigabyte of 54 cents.
If you're after an energy-efficient hard drive that has a very low cost per gigabyte and is cool and quiet, then the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B is a worthwhile option.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCICT Strategist and AdvisorNSW
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- FTNBN Sales Consultant / Account ManagersSA
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Consultant - HR / PayrollWA
- CCSenior Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCProcess Assurance LeadNSW
- FTSecurity Manager (Adviser)ACT
- FTSalesforce DeveloperQLD
- FTDeployment Manager | ContractVIC
- CCProject Manager Retail Supply Chain OptimisationNSW
- FTProduct Manager - FintechNSW
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity Monitoring SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTAutomation Test AnalystSA
- CCSenior Network Designer - CiscoVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- TPApplication DeveloperACT
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- FTSenior Hybris DeveloperNSW
- FTHelpdesk Support - Level 2VIC