HP w2558hc LCD monitor
The W2558hc LCD monitor performed well in our image-quality tests
- Displayed nice colours in tests, includes a built-in card reader
- Lacks a VGA connection
Given the HP W2558hc's wealth of extras, its excellent image quality, and its distinctive design, US$549 might be a good deal for this well-rounded monitor after all.
Best Deals (Selling at 6 stores)
The HP W2558hc 25.5-inch widescreen LCD offers impressive image quality, a host of extra features, and a pleasant design. What's not to like? It's expensive.
The W2558hc performed well in our image-quality tests, presenting sharp, readable text on black and white backgrounds alike. Text was quite easy to read even at 6 points; we didn't have to strain to see the lettering.
Colors looked bright, particularly in a portrait. Skin tones appeared realistic, with even shading and the proper amount of contrast to give the image a pleasing feel. The display also handled our motion tests well, showing smooth video with no visible fluttering.
The unit's 25.5-inch size is unusual, but that allows it to have a 1920 by 1200 native resolution.
As for extras, the W2558hc has them in spades. A built-in Webcam resides at the center of the top bezel. On the left side of the display sits a card reader that accommodates all types of media cards. Two USB ports are also on the left. On the back, the W2558hc has two HDMI ports, DVI and VGA ports, USB-in and -out ports, and an audio-in jack.
Four inset buttons on the bottom-right lip of the bezel control the easy-to-navigate on-screen menus. Two additional buttons control the W2558hc's other unique feature: a built-in task light that shines from under the monitor down onto any papers or items you might have placed on the table. The W2558hc also doubles as a digital picture frame, as it can show photos stored on memory cards placed in the card reader.
All of those extra features are integrated well into the monitor's clean design, which sports HP's signature piano-black finish. The display is height-adjustable, too; a built-in lever allows you to make the adjustments. Though the W2558hc can tilt, it does not swivel.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCOracle DevelopersACT
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- CCProject Manager - open source softwareACT
- FTDesign and Engineering - Technical WriterWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCOperational Applications Support AnalystNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Project Server/SharePoint exposureACT